Buying A Speed Triple ?

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Too hot, Jul 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Too hot

Too hot Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Costa del Clyde Scotchland
    Just a newbie here and looking for some advice on what to buy.
    I had a BMW R9T for a while but felt it was too small cramped and uncomfortable for me.(hopefully the speed triple is bigger?)
    Now that went a while ago and now the GSA has gone too I’m searching the classifieds for a Speed triple.
    Ideally I’m looking for something as late as possible budget stretching !! Can anyone advise on which model to go for early or late what are the pros and cons of each version ?
    Any advice appreciated or anyone selling give me a shout, thanks

2. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Welcome!

Not sure a Speed Triple will have more room than an R9T, have a look here to check.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

3. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I had a 2016 Speed Triple but didn't get on well with the ABS and Traction Control, the ride by wire annoyed me too
    So sold it and went for a round eyed 2010 Speed Triple

Suspension can be a bit soft so you may wasn't to retain some budget for upgrading the suspension to your weight and riding style, wiring can also be upgraded on the 2010 to give a better charge to the battery and higher voltage to the starter motor

2018 bikes seem to be having ongoing issues with their engines from 4th to 5th gear, not engaging revving and then snapping into gear damaging the teeth, reports are of engine rebuilds under warranty

2010 years are holding their prices very well - around GBP £5,000 to 5,500 depending on mileage

There is a 2018 Speed Triple 'Dark' for sale someone here posted yesterday, these are very rare and desirable due to their unique paint job, only 50 made each year

When buying, watch for lowered seats and/or suspension if it isn't something you want

• Like Like x 1
  4. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I have upgraded the rear shock to a Nitron R2, and the front springs to linear 9.5 KG/nm and the bike sits a lot taller and handles just right for me
    I am 16st and 6'2"

5. Too hot

Jul 9, 2019
    I saw the ad for the Triple ‘dark’ looks lovely but probably more than I am looking to spend on what to all intents and purposes will be a dry weather toy.
    I do like the look of the earlier round headlight bikes but I’m open to suggestions

6. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    What's your budget range.

7. Too hot

Jul 9, 2019
    Budget depends on the bike ,new ones £10k ?
    Between £3-£7k

8. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    I have a 2018 RS. No problems at all and that’s with the Shift Assist fitted. Now 3600 miles.

I had a 2014 S before that and the guy who bought it put a full decat, some extra carbon and it looked great! In Black. I sold that for 6k and bought my RS for 14300. No way is the 2014 S 8k worse. You can use tunECU to do stuff and get suspension sorted for you will keep up with most stuff on the road.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    How is the Nitron working out for you? My brother wants to buy the R3 or maybe the race for his Suzuki.

10. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    #10 Dave C, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Firstly welcome aboard, I'm not sure about the comparison side of things but I have a 2015 Speed triple with ABS and I love it to bit's, I've done a few mods in the eighteen months I've been her proud owner, oil cooler and rad guards, swapped the twin Arrows for a single low boy Scorpion Serket, tuned to match and had a Street triple headlight bracket fitted to give a better look, and it has the comfort gel seat, any chance you could take couple of variable year models for a test ride before you decide, having said that, I really wanted a Speedy and bought one without testing first, good luck in finding the bike for you and of course, pictures please when you do :p

• Like Like x 1
  11. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I had the R3 on a previous 2010 and it was good, nicely adjustable and floated like a cloud. My new 2010 is same but as I didn't utilise the high speed adjustment I went for the R2
    Fitted with factory settings and haven't changed it since

12. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Is the R3 much better than the R2?

13. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    The only difference really is that the R3 has high speed and low speed adjustment for rebound and dampening

14. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I have a 2018 RS that replaced a 2016 R - both have been excellent, but I prefer the 'extra liveliness' of the RS.

The 2018 gearbox issues look to be caused by the optional Quick Shifter (it's called 'Shift Assist' and was introduced in 2018) so there's nothing inherently wrong with the engine or gearbox (as far as I'm aware).

That Triple R 'dark' looks amazing and would make a perfect dry weather toy.

I almost bought a 2015 94R (in yellow...which would look good in the Scottish sun) - the 94 or 94R might squeeze in at the top end of your budget (according to AutoTrader) so perhaps worth a look.

Good luck with your search!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dodger

Dodger Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Edinburgh
    I’ve got a 2016 94. Can’t fault it. Done 2.3k.Tours well too. Quite a wide chunky bike. Doesn’t feel too cramped.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Too hot

Jul 9, 2019
    Thanks to all who have offered advice.Can anyone tell me the differences between standard and 94 anniversary edition?Does it have Ohlins suspension ? Going to have a look round the local dealers tomorrow,so should have a better idea of the size and feel of the bike. Anyone seen any good deals on new bikes ?

17. Dodger

Dodger Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Edinburgh
    Don’t think there’s any difference bud apart from a plaque. I tried the 2015 model and the upgraded model which might be out youre price range. Feel different so try both

18. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Sorry, I meant does it feel any different in terms of performance and feel. I was aware of the difference in adjustments.

19. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    It feels the same, it is essentially the same unit, but you can adjust high speed C+R
    I suppose the R3 would give a better ride but the R3 was essentially over engineered for my riding, I can't notice any difference but I am not racing or pushing the bike to its limits

20. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Ok, thanks for the info. I think the R3 might be best for him.

21. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    R3 is definitely more racing orientated
    Top tip is to use an R&G shock cover to protect it from flying debris