Buying A New Lid Online

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Mark Gilgallon, Jul 13, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mark Gilgallon

Mark Gilgallon Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Dublin Ireland
    I’m looking to get a new lid. Still a bit nervy going into shops! I know the best advice is to go in and get fitted as head shapes vary etc , but just wondering if anybody has bought online and what you think? Thanks in advance .

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Buy from Sportsbikeshop, their service is excellent and they’re happy to do free returns.
    They’ll even price match any UK retailer, like for like.
    I got my AGV flip lid from them and the large I ordered was too small so sent it back free (they even arranged for the courier to collect it from my house next day) and got a refund as I’d seen it cheaper after I’d ordered it.
    Went back on and got an XL and they did the price match too so ended up saving about £70. :grinning:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

I bought two helmets recently (during lockdown here in Scotland so in store wasn't an option). The helmets I bought were both Shark Spartan's, A Priona model and a Hoplite model. Both were 'Large' and were a perfect, snug fit for my 60cm head. Not sure if shops are legally supposed to accept returns of things like helmets at the moment though as I am currently looking for another helmet, simply for vanity as I want one to match another of my bikes, and noted a few ebay shops etc. have statements saying that, at this time, they are not allowed to accept returns on helmets. I think one of those is M&P but I could well be wrong.

Perhaps a cheap one with a good 'SHARP' rating would be an idea as some of the helmets that cost peanuts have scored three and four stars in SHARP tests which sometimes outshines very expensive models and, if it isn't the ideal fit you can put it aside as a spare with little loss.

• Like Like x 1
  4. doov29

doov29 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2020
    Aberdeen
    Another thumbs up for Sportsbike shop.
    Bought a new helmet a few weeks ago which wasn’t a great fit. Sent it back for a full refund with no issues.
    As said above they organise courier.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    I've brought 3 helmets online, 2 from Sports Bike Shop and 1 from The Visor Shop. Brilliant service from both suppliers, and all helmets packaged well.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    Sportsbikeshop. Best service online. Have had two lids from them. Returned one and no problem whatsoever. They have a 365 day return policy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Shape as well as circumference affect fit. If your head, viewed from above, is more peanut than pea you will get on better with AGV or Bell than Shoei and Arai. It’s the difference between forehead pressure or gaps each side and still needing to go up a size. I would not fear buying online from major sellers

• Like Like x 2
  8. VillanJC

VillanJC New Member

Jun 8, 2019
    Southampton
    Another vote for Sportsbikeshop - Brilliant

• Like Like x 2
  9. El barto

El barto Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Nottinghamshire
    I’ve used helmet city with no problems,just make sure you use a recognised supplier,more dodgy copies appearing all the time on places like the bay of e

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Schuey

Schuey Senior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Midlands
    I've bought a helmet online as well recently. I think it helps if you know the brand of helmet in terms of shape/sizing. It came packaged well and no issues. Happy Chappy!

• Like Like x 2
  11. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Wouldn't splash out on a helmet you don't know if will be comfortable or even fit...I've only bought on line for a helmet to replace the exact same model & size. Trying on in a shop used to be the best option as for example in my case I tried a Shuberth C3 which was uncomfortable whereas the same size C3 Pro fitted like a glove and I've stuck with them since. However these days I wouldn't be happy trying helmets in a store unless I was absolutely sure they had scrupulous cleaning after someone has tried a helmet on and then put it to one side for 72 hours in case of any lingering plague. Can't see many doing that given the economic trouble stores likely to be in so its a bit awkward... Similarly though, even buying on line your 'new' helmet may well have had someone else's head in it given the widespread free returns policies, so you may well need to think how to disinfect and sanitise your brand new helmet before putting it anywhere near your respiratory system... :triumph:

• Like Like x 3
  12. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    The MT I think it’s the blade model has 4 star sharp rating and is about £70ish,I got mine via sports bike shop online,it’s as good as the sharks and Nolan’s I’ve had previously imho

• Like Like x 2
  13. DavidBrownLaw

DavidBrownLaw Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2020
    Lawrence, Kansas
    For what it is worth, I tried on my helmet in a couple of shops, but none had the color I wanted (just basic white). So, I determined brand and size and bought on line from Revzila (i'm in the u.s.). Their free return policy made me feel comfortable. I did feel guilty not buying in the shops, but they had extraordinarily long delivery schedules. Revzilla was here before the end of the week. The price was also better on line.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    When I came back to biking a couple of years ago I bought a Caberg flip front from the shop I got the bike from so tried it on.
    Later, I wanted an open face helmet as well for occasional use, so bought another Caberg, (Open face). same size on line.
    The open face one is slightly too big but I kept it.
    Summary..... Two helmets, same make, same size but different styles....different fit.
    Ken.

• Like Like x 1