Sprint GT Buyer Beware

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by DCS222, Feb 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Probably been asked before, but there’s a small potential for me the purchase a Sprint 1050 GT ... so what advice have you got for checking one out? What’s its weak points? Any issues with ownership.... niggles, nitpicking... reasons to avoid... then of course, the benefits, good points etc

Thanking you in advance

2. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    I bought a used one back in December last year after a myopic old bag pulled out on me and wrote off my Aprillia. I don't change bikes often as I like to stick with something (the Apriliia was 2000 reg). After much thought about what I needed a bike for, how much older I've got etc.. I settled on the Sprint GT. I don't like all the modern electronics on bikes, which seem to be mainly to control wild power outputs, but I like the security of ABS. Got some miles in before the snow hit and I can say I'm really pleased with it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Fantastic bike the whole deal. get a bigger screen and grease the bearings.
    They are long so a little more tourer than sport but still rock solid and trustworthy in handling The gearing is tourer too,
    Once you know that youll love it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. deaks25

deaks25 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2018
    Birmingham, UK
    #4 deaks25, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    I think all the 'watchouts' I'd suggest have been mentioned; the alternator on the previous Sprint ST liked to burn out, not sure if the GT still has the same issue, this can be random or be caused by regulators going. Not a guarantee to go wrong, just a headache.
    I think the major one is the chain adjuster hub. As mentioned, they were often under-greased at the factory, so can cease up. The teeth on the adjuster are not designed for abuse (i.e being forced) so can be easily shredded. Mine had this problem, but since being replaced, it's been fine. I'm told the hub is actually a good design fundamentally & once it's done properly, they give very little trouble.

For the most part, the 1050 bikes are fairly bullet proof. They won't stand up to outright neglect, but there are few major issues, mostly standard motorcycle headaches especially if you get a high-mileage bike.

If the (very)Sporty-Tourer bike appeals to you, the Sprint's will definitely scratch that particular itch.
    One of the things I love is the flat torque curve, which means they develop about 80% from 3500rpm & the GT's torque curve is very flat, which means at 60mph in 6th, you've got basically max pull. IT means that while the bhp figure isn't mind-blowing, they are effortlessly fast.
    It's a subjective thing, but I think the Sprint's are still gorgeous looking bikes even today.
    The GT's side exhaust isn't as awesome-looking as the ST's under-seat one, but gives a lot more after market options & costs less for OEM parts.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Cheers @deaks25 I forgot to mention how good looking they are.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    As I've said, I have had one since December. It came with an aftermarket "touring" screen which is dark tinted. I don't like dark screens, so bought a used original screen. Funny though, despite it being lower, it seems to create a better calm air zone in front of me. I need to do some proper riding to confirm it, but so far, that's how it seems.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1