Button Haded Bolt Oxidation.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Byron, May 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Byron

Byron Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2019
    West Sussex
    Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening.....depending on where & when this finds You,

So....there I was replacing the exhausts, stock indicators and tail tidy on my Speedy and I find that a lot of the button allen bolts are suffering from what I believe looks like bimetallic oxidation. Now, a wire brush temporarily removes the chalky residue but I was wondering if anyone out there had tried to fix this by replacing the bolts with a more appropriate metal?

Not sure if the stocks bolts are ally or another metal combo that is causing the problem but I assume that stainless steel would do the job....its just a case of getting the correct size and the button head on them I guess.

I know its along shot but has anyone come across this?

Thank for taking the time to read this :)

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    You’re not cleaning it often enough ;)
    I wouldn’t use a wire brush, just some polish like Belgom Alu if they’re not too bad, which leaves a wax coating to protect them.
    Of course if you replace them with stainless all the better. I don’t know why manufacturers don’t put them on as standard; cost cutting I suppose.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Soft water up here and I get the same thing.Polish regularly and replace the worst ones every couple of years, is what I do.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    On my Blade I remove them stick them in a vice and use a wire brush attachment on my cordless drill, once refitted I then smear some ACF-50 on them, seems to work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. Byron

Byron Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2019
    West Sussex
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply. It is definitely bimetallic oxidation....poor material choice me thinks. I'm going to replace the body panel button nuts with either stainless steel or better still, black anodized button nuts.....I'll let you know how that goes :)

• Like Like x 2