Butchering A Cat?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by andyc1, May 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3
    Subscriber

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Been looking at decat for the 765, all I see is SC Project headers at about 600 quids... not happening! They claim impressive gains in torque and power. The SC headers look like they have larger diameter tubing compared to standard. Any pros or cons to just removing the catalytic material from the standard headers?

2. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member
    Subscriber

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    What are you looking to achieve Andy?

3. Eldon

Eldon Noble Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #3 Eldon, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    What do you mean "catalytic material from the headers"?
    I've not actually looked in detail at my 765 as it is still in warranty but.....
    The cat is underneath and normally just bolts onto the headers, you don't actually modify them. Then all you need is a link pipe and silencer unless I've missed something? :confused:

The length of the headers is important but so is the diameter. Larger diameter generally gives higher rpm gains whereas smaller diameter gives increased torque.

4. andyc1

Subscriber

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    The cat looks to be part of the headers, immediately after the 3into1 join. Then there is a joint after the cat to the silencer. I mean remove the honeycomb material from that cat section instead of cutting and welding a section of pipe in its place.
    I wouldn't mind a little more noise, just a little though! And if I get a bit of a power increase then thats good to. The bikes already had an ECU flash via hilltop so that side of things is sorted

5. andyc1

Subscriber

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Dont want an end can either as I like the look of the standard exhaust and an aftermarket can leaves a big empty space behind the sump, just dosent look right IMO.
    When I de-catted the thruxton it gave it a lovely raw note without making it much louder, thats really what I'd like to achieve

6. Eldon

Eldon Noble Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Did the ecu flash on its own make any noticeable difference?

7. andyc1

Subscriber

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Yes it has, very smooth and strong pull from very low rpm's, haven't been too hard on the bike yet though as it only had 300 miles on it ;) still waiting on the first service at 700 miles so I've stopped riding it till next week

8. Eldon

Eldon Noble Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    When I had the Honda CB1000r I decatted that for a link pipe and Akropovic carbon can. It made a 10kg weight saving (11.5 versus 1.5kg).
    Some others on the forum i frequented did as you suggest and cut the cat open, removed the innards and welded it back up. A noise gain resulted without changing the appearance so go for it if that's what you fancy?

9. Eldon

Eldon Noble Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I thought the first service was supposed to be 600 miles?
    I had mine done just over 500.

10. andyc1

Subscriber

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Apparently it 500 on the 765 o_O im already overdue but thats as soon as I could get it booked in, booked it when I bought the bike. Dealers very busy this time of year!
    I reckon I could get the innards out of the cat without cutting it open as the join to the silencer is right after the cat. Basically open at one end :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Eldon

Eldon Noble Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
  12. andyc1

Subscriber

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Thats the ones I've been looking at, those quoted db readings are with the different SC scilencers and I agree... too loud! Those headers are compatible with the standard silencer but if I just remove the cat from mine? Still undecided really :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Johnjo

Johnjo Well-Known Member
    Subscriber

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I drilled the cat out of my old tiger 1050. Made quite a difference. Motor span up noticeably quicker. Along with a zard can, k&n filter and a custom map I pretty much had speed triple performance.

If you can see the cat material I'd say go for it.

• Like Like x 2
  14. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    Have heard reading forums that removing the Cat increases the noise by just 1db and does not give you any gain in Bhp. But can make a triple run better throughout the rev range. Seen these comments a few times on the web.

• Like Like x 1
  15. andyc1

Subscriber

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    That sounds good, and similar to my experience with the Thruxton, the biggest difference in noise was the tone... Made it sound metallic and angry :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    "What are going to do to that pussy ???!!!!"

• Funny Funny x 1