Bumping Around In The Garage

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Wire-Wheels, May 21, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #1 Wire-Wheels, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Aux-Lamp-02.jpg Spring time. Weather is getting warm. Still supposed to be isolated because of the virus. I found this:
    Aux-Lamp-01.jpg

Humm. How can I use it ?

Aux-Lamp-03.jpg

An idea is forming...J.D.

• Like Like x 2
  2. MyEvilTwin

MyEvilTwin Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Sugartown Cabaret
    You can fab a bracket like this or buy one, mount it to that maybe? vintage fogger? just noodling it around.

fd6c5b8ff27869734ee28d70ef34451e.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  3. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland
    I'm looking for a recommendation for tap and die set,not to expensive, though.

P.s. Interesting thread.

4. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #4 Wire-Wheels, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Aux-Light-06.jpg
    Ah, you see where I'm going with this. Is yours the one sold by Carpy's here in So.Cal. ? I am thinking of putting it on my old Legend, so I am going to have to fabricate something.from scratch. The Legend has no front downtube. As for.the taps and dies, that is why I was rumaging around in my machinist chest. I don't have a lot, but I DO have the sizes I need. ...J.D.
    Legend TT-2.jpg

The scrap shown measures .625" diameter. It is pretty mashed on both ends. Someone [me] was using if as a drift sometime in the past, but it will be put through the lathe anyhow. Maybe I"ll dig around tomorrow and see if I can find a better piece. It is getting late. ...JD.

• Like Like x 3
  5. MyEvilTwin

MyEvilTwin Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Sugartown Cabaret
    ^WW - I dont run one but yes its a pic I pulled from Carpy. I do own his monarch exhaust however.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Trouble with cheap taps & dies is breakage. [Breaking off a tap in your project piece really sucks.!] You get what you pay for. I just have bits and pieces. I don't use them enough to justify the expense of a set of metric and a set of SAE. This is one of those situations where tooling availability dictates design. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Can't disagree seen plenty of taps broke mostly from lack of knowledge/misuse but there are plenty of shit HSS tapsndies out there. Pick a good set, understand how to use them and they should be good for a plenty years of DIY use. I am an engineer and teach it now in a college and kids break plenty of them as they learn and acquire knowledge and skills.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I bought that little oak machinist's chest from a company called Grizzly in the US . Try Grizzly.com. I think they are still in business. Just something.to keep my tooling for my lathe and drill in. I'll snap a couple of pics if I find some.time in the next few days. Just an old gearhead to the bone :)
    [I.U.O.E. Local #501 Los Angeles, Ca. retired] …J.D.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    You guys in the states know how to look after yourselves!!
    A lathe in the garage?
    In the UK you can barely get an old school Mini in our garages:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Would need to be DD if "her indoors" don't let you in the house;)
    Lucky sod!
    I am hoping to move soon to somewhere further north of here and hope I can get a double garage or room to build a decent one; or that was the plan up till Corona turned up, may put it back a bit!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I am blessed with a lot of space here. I bought this old place in 1988 when it was really cheap
    [ property would be 2 or 3 times the price I paid back then]. I have a house, two garages, and a small shed/barn thing on the property. As for my lathe, it is a very small one, but I can turn out custom small bits. But yes, a guy has to look out for himself. ;) ...J.D.

Lathe-01.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  14. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I found some time to go a little further on my light project. I decided not.to use round bar for a bracket. All I had was steel and I would rather use aluminum to keep it light weight. The light housing is also cast aluminum. I found a piece of aluminum flat bar over in the other shop. A little satin black paint and here is what I came up with. ...J.D.

Fog Light with bracket.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  15. Macduff

Macduff Well-Known Member

May 21, 2020
    Aberdeen
    Allen Millyard proves you can do a lot in a small space!

• Like Like x 1