Budget Rubber

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Hedgehog, Jun 14, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    I've always been a bit suspicious of cheap rubber.... (Steady..)

But we were offered a set of Maxxis tyres to test and our Graham, who happens to be a motorcycle instructor, volunteered to try them out on his work bike - an old Honda Hornet.:eek:

We got the Supermaxx Touring tyre and the results of the first 1000 mile test are Here:

Maxxis Supermaxx Touring Tyre: Bigbikemad Review - Big Bike Mad

Surprising in more ways than one.:frown:

Won't have me shifting from my PR3's but for a commuter hack its another matter..

HH

• Like Like x 1
  2. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Not sure about these as I have heard some fairly bad reports about the Maxxis Snake skin tyres from people who have had them.

If they were off road tyres then thats a completely different kettle of fish as they are some of the best tyres around and have won several world championships.

As far as road tyres go I'm happy to pay a bit more for my Z8's, BT023's or Diablo's for my bikes as if your unhappy with your tyres then it becomes a bit of a struggle.

3. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Just on my second set of maxxis running on a BMW r1150r fat numb thing. I had a set a few years ago on a cb1300 and they did good mileage and felt very sure footed. This time I opted again for maxxis because of price and they seem to do everything well enough. I tend to go light on acceleration when upright but abuse the outer edges more on cornering. Eric

• Like Like x 2
  4. The only time i use budget tyres, is when i buy a bike with them already fitted. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for with tyres (and crash helmets) i'd rather pay extra for a decent set of Michelins anyday.