Bud Ekins Editions

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by newT120, Nov 5, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. newT120

newT120 Active Member

Apr 1, 2016
    London
    So what do we think of the "special edition" Bonnies then ?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

If you post a picture I’ll let you know :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Here you go Dilli...

bud-ekins-bonneville.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bar end mirrors, Monza filler cap, special paint, custom seat... not sure what else.

• Like Like x 8
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Very nice :cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. jezzasnr

jezzasnr Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Cornwall
    Underwhelmed to be honest.
    What's the premium for "Special Editions"?

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    very nice, not sure apart from the sticker on the top of the tank what makes them that special but if anyone is giving one away...

ekins bonny sepcial.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Another weird interpretation by Triumph, i could understand them doing it with a Scrambler.

• Agree Agree x 7
  8. Jschroeder

Jschroeder New Member

Feb 28, 2019
    Long Island, NY
    Pricing for the T100 was $10,950 I think...not bad when you consider for $10,800 for Aegean blue you just got a different paint job. Here you get a unique color and badging, but I agree that maybe a little more scrambler style might help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    These bikes are supposed to carry a $500 premium in the USA, which seems pretty reasonable.

They are great looking. I wish they came with a brake upgrade (Brembo anyone?) and/or Ohlins suspension. That would be cool.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Looks to me like Triumph are trying to cash in on a well known name, with the minimum effort. In my mind Bud Ekins is linked to scrambler-style bikes anyway, so I see no connection with this attempt. And I wouldn't want that sticker on the tank. If you're really keen to have "a unique color (sic)" then spend the extra on an original paint job.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Looks to me like Triumph are trying to cash in on a well known name, with the minimum effort. In my mind Bud Ekins is linked to scrambler-style bikes anyway, so I see no connection with this attempt. And I wouldn't want that sticker on the tank. If you're really keen to have "a unique color (sic)" then spend the extra on an original paint job.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    I like them! ... finishing touch for me would have been slightly raised cow horn style handlebars. If I was in the market for a Bonnie I’d seriously consider the 900 as I don’t like the 1200 motor, and nice to have a bright colour and the brushed aluminium casings to complement the scheme. Given it was Bud Ekins who did Steve McQueen’s jump in the Great Escape it’s sweet for Triumph to give him a special edition and get that ‘California style’ into the range. 3 years back I bought the last of the 865 Bonnies ‘ special edition’ Newchurch models and people often asked me if I was in a religious motorcycle sect, so at least with the Bud Ekins models the only question will be “are you Bud Ekins ?” ...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes I like them.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jschroeder

Jschroeder New Member

Feb 28, 2019
    Long Island, NY
    I’m going to take a wild guess and say that this is the bike that Triumph based the Bud Ekins edition on. It’s also the very first result that comes up when you google “Bud Ekins Triumph.” Here’s what I would do to more closely honor that bike;
    Add the tires from the street scrambler. This bikes needs at least the pretense of off-road capability.
    Add a real badge. This is a glaring omission from the original. The original has knee pads as well so I’d throw those on too for authenticity.
    Add the number plate because those are just plain cool even if it’s not a race bike.
    I think with those additions Triumph could get even more than just a $500 premium over the regular T100/120.

0EFEA0CE-B0D7-42AC-A1BD-6F516CF6DCAB.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. MrY

MrY New Member

Jan 27, 2020
    Chester
    I've ordered one of these however Triumph have confirmed that on this special the grab rails are an option and the replacement grips removed the heated option. I was surprised at the grab rail removal because the show bikes at EICMA and Live both had them. I have been informed they are an option though at over £200. In other words you get a couple of options added ie LED indicators, mirrors, grips and monza cap etc while other things have been removed, obviously to save money. Bit naughty,.. the grab rails are pretty useful and look good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Yuk !!!!! Don't like that at all. :confused::confounded::rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes I am surprised they didn't link it more to the great escape. I do believe he was the actual rider that made the jump. But never got recognised for it nor was his name in the film credits.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  18. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Ha yes, I suspect Steve McQueen’s publicity image makers wouldn’t have let it out that it was Bud Ekins who made the jump... I would imagine that Steve McQueen wanted to do it and would have been quite capable but too risky for the corporate heads to allow... going back to the new special ‘Bud Ekins’ bikes it’s just capitalising on his name & image but if it sells then great ... I’ve already declared my liking both the style and colours and would buy the 900 if I was looking at the moment. .. I’m all for riding a bike that inspires a positive feeling so if these make you feel you are cruising the warm sunny California backroads and beaches then it’s great (says an Englishman sitting in the cold UK January weather with a big jumper on) ... glad you’ve got one on order MrY and have great fun when it arrives ...

• Like Like x 3
  19. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Clivedee.
    Well that was well put and I agree. But with Triumph who knows what brewing for later. Great reply and well stated.
    Ride Safe & enjoy
    Joe

20. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #20 Wire-Wheels, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    If I.was going to buy one, why not.put MY name on it. It would be my bike. ;) . I am getting annoyed at Triumph. Too many "special editions". I guess it is cheaper then real engineering progress, but in my opinion [and I know I'll take some shots for saying this] Triumph is just treading water when they do this kind of marketing. . ...J.D.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1