Brembo

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Kevin27, Jul 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kevin27

Kevin27 New Member

Jul 17, 2019
    Suffolk
    Hello,
    I've got a 2005 Speed Triple, the first model with the 1050 motor.
    I've never been happy with the Nissin brake set-up, and after a try on one of the more recent models I'd like to fit the Brembos.
    Can anyone help with a couple of questions?
    Do the later forks fit straight into the older yokes?
    If that's a no, do the later yokes fit the older frame without problems?
    Thanks for any help and advice.
    Kevin.

2. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome. Got a 2005 myself, and find the brakes quite adequate. Can't help you with your query, sorry.

3. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    May be worth servicing the system, check pistons move freely etc, then get some decent pads. Pads make a huge difference to brake efficiency.

4. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    #4 D'Ecosse, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    There was a 'goodwill' replacement of the pistons in the calipers of the 2005/6 models - it stopped short of a full recall and relied on customer to request it (while not really publishing anything formal about it either!)
    The pistons were from the 675's and did not have the same sticking issue.
    Don't think you'll get much traction with the goodwill thing at this point, over 10 years later but the solution remains the same.

Another option you would have without having to swap the forks is to swap in Tokicos from a Suzuki GSXR
    https://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/99298-gsxr-brake-upgrade-for-07-speedy.html
    or Yamaha R1/R6 monoblock calipers - these need a 3mm spacer between the mount and the caliper but IMO are better calipers (and look really nice too!)
    I actually run those Yamaha calipers on my Suzuki forks.

Yam_Calipers.jpg

5. Kevin27

Kevin27 New Member

Jul 17, 2019
    Suffolk
    Thanks for the advice guys. Gives me something to think about for upgrading the stoppers.