Brembo Front Brake Upgrade On 2018 Street Twin

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Andy Stanford, Dec 25, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Andy Stanford

Andy Stanford New Member

Dec 24, 2019
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I recently replaced the stock front brake on my 2018 Street Twin with a Free Spirits kit from Canyon Cycles in California. The stock disc is 310mm and the made-in-Italy replacement 340mm. The new caliper is a four piston Brembo, replacing the stock Nissin two piston setup. Went with the Titanium finish to compliment the aesthetics of my jet black bike with mostly black accessories. Used the stock brake lines and replaced the plastic reservoir with the machined aluminum one from Triumph.

After a week or so the difference in performance was not radical in my normal daily city driving. A subtle improvement perhaps, but my philosophy is "better is better." No regrets, and I look forward to further evaluation in some aggressive canyon riding in the near future. ( I live in Flagstaff, Arizona and winter weather and road conditions dictate where and when I can ride for now.) I will post again under this thread when I have more data.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Are the stock brake lines stainless?

Brake improvements
    1 pads
    2 brake lines

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Andy Stanford

Andy Stanford New Member

Dec 24, 2019
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Not stainless. I wanted to evaluate kit with original lines first before taking that step.

Likewise didn't want to put more abrasive pads in unless necessary, to reduce rotor wear.

(I was a DoD analyst, so I like to change one variable at a time. Mea Culpa.)

• Like Like x 2
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Andy Stanford
    Welcome to the family. But you know here in the asylum we say no picture it didn't happen. So hit the upload a file button bottom right corner and prove us all wrong. An black will go down a storm on here.
    Regards & Ride Safe.
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Andy Stanford

Andy Stanford New Member

Dec 24, 2019
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I am out of town until Monday (in a rental car) and will do my best to conquer technology and post a picture of my new front brake, etc. So I guess it didn't happen yet. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    I also have a 2018 Street Twin. I simply replaced the stock pads with EBC HH fully sintered pads and it made a noticeable difference to me. Much better brake performance.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Andy Stanford

Andy Stanford New Member

Dec 24, 2019
    Flagstaff, AZ

There's your picture. Stick a fork in me. (I'm done.)

IMG_0374.jpg

• Like Like x 4