Brands Hatch Today

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Bad Billy, Oct 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Me Dave & Harley (number 2 & 3) in this years Bandit challenge are off to the BEMSE club meeting at Brands today.
    NG Racing who we race with have dropped Brands next year, as one of only two local tracks we did we aren’t happy!
    Going to see if there is a class that we fit in as they are there 3 times next year!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Have a great day Bill, weather looks to good, my neighbours daughter was signed up to ride in one of the support races at the BSB at Donington today but had an abscess under her tooth this week and was told under no circumstances was she too ride, she was gutted but chatting to her dad yesterday they may put her in for the whole of the BSB season support races next year, keep us posted on what you get from today at Brands :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    #3 Bad Billy, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Cheers Dave, weather stayed dry which was a bonus.
    Had a look round at BEMSE, had a chat with officials & riders to get a feel for what we could do if we joined them for next season.
    The main thing is 3 meetings that are only 2 hours from where we live, if you're on a limited budget the last thing you want to do is blow most of it travelling. So there is a class that I could race the Bandit in, it is the lowest Supersport class for older bikes up to 105 bhp, the Bandit has about 70 bhp, so although I could race it, I would be seriously under powered compared to the rest.
    So looking at maybe getting something like an old pre-injection model R6 like the one in the photo to race, first things first though, I need to refresh & then sell the Bandit. I would really like to race a 675 Daytona or an RSV as I prefer both to an inline 4, but both classes are seriously quick (and expensive) for a poor old duffer like me to race in. 60ACB6AD-A4C1-490A-A44C-0BC5D5401C74.jpeg 3A34C212-AE6D-46F1-879E-CC0BA04CD414.jpeg 7BB35D69-1F0C-4970-9F6B-FB34E8FABBFA.jpeg 19A397D0-4D2F-4F4D-8990-B36939AC6EBC.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  4. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Sounds like plenty of food for thought Bill, are you Dave and Harley considering moving to that club, best of luck with your plans and decisions and keep us all posted on here :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Yes mate we are all considering a move, we are all based in the South, NG are only racing 1 circuit down here next year which is Castle Combe, we will all probably join NG and race at Combe, if we run pre-injection R6's we will be able to race in a Pro-stocks class, if I go for an RSV then I can also run in the new Pro-stocks battle of the twins class, if I were to run a Daytona 675 then it would be super sport which is really not going to suit me.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Whichever bike/class you decide to run in Bill I'm sure I can speak for other members too in saying we'll be cheering you on in spirit and in person at the tracks that we can get to, we'll be watching this space for updates :p

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    I can understand your decision to change clubs/class especially if it helps with the finances mate.

What ever you decide good luck for 2020 Billy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Great photos, Billy! That looks like a great track and a cool venue. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Thanks Sandi, Brands Hatch is special to me, it is the first track I ever went to to watch motorcycle racing, this was when Barry Sheene was an up and coming rider & Percy Tait was riding Triumphs!
    Brands also was my first ever on track experience when I did a 'track day virgins' special day on board my Triumph Daytona back in 2000.
    That is why I was so mad when my club decided they are not racing there next year, it has started me looking at other clubs & classes of bike to race, watch this space to find out which way I go!

• Like Like x 7
  10. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Very cool, Billy. It's always fun to hear from other motorcyclists what places and people have influenced them. It makes perfect sense that Brands Hatch is special to you. I will definitely watch this space to see which way you go with your club and classes. I'm sure it's a tough decision. :confused: I've faced a somewhat similar decision back in my bicycle racing days.

11. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    As the old saying goes, I used to be indecisive .... but now I am not so sure! :confused:

Keep changing my mind with what class bike to run, Aprilia RSVR is where my heart is, but potentially a big money pit as there's not a huge amount of cheap spares available, also the class is very quick, I am not so much!
    So the head says choose an Yamaha R6, there are loads about, and plenty of spares, & there are many classes to race in, one at least would suit my skill level.

Stage 1 was get the Bandit running sweet again, so a carb clean necessary, also another exhaust header bolt was stripped, so off came the front end of the bike & dropped the engine in the cradle to helicoil, all now fixed & bike is up for sale.

Will see what happens with the sale & how much money that generates, that will give me a better idea of budget if I decide to race something else.

• Like Like x 4
  12. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

What about the human race :p
    You could try joining that :joy:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Nah! Like you, I prefer to be an outcast mate! o_O:grinning::joy:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  14. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Billy, sounds like you are definitely weighing your options. Always pros and cons to every decision. Maybe a year on a Yamaha R6 then maybe the Aprilla RSVR the year after?? I'm usually a head thinker for most things but when it comes to bikes I sure seem to default to where my heart is. The one thing I've realized as I've grown older, though, that helps me finally pull the trigger on a decision is that....."nothing is set in stone".

Any nibbles on the Bandit yet? Will you miss it??

• Like Like x 2
  15. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Well Sandi, the ideas are still running around in my mind :dizzy:, but I am not going to give the Bandit away, no nibbles on it as yet, but early days, I have it up for sale in many different race related sites and e-bay;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153684330282

If it doesn't sell then I am planning to refresh the Mk2 engine that is sat on my garage floor & stick that back in, then get the carbs ultrasonically cleaned, once done I will take it to a dyno for proper set up to get it running as near to the 80bhp limit as I can while achieving a decent torque & power curve. Then it is work on a new rear shock & ride height in order for me to get it in range for me, the GSX-R 1000 shock that is in at moment is maxed out everywhere & still too soft. When all of that is done I will do a track day to try to get the bike dialled in before I try & race it again.

Will see what happens with the sale. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Glad you're not giving the Bandit away, Billy. Seems she's been good to you. And it sounds like you have several good plans any of which would work "depending". Que sera, sera! :blush: That said, good luck with the sale. :cool:

• Like Like x 2