Bought A 2001 Triumph Thunderbird After Not Having A Bike For 20yrs. My How Things Have Changed.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Woofa, Aug 19, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Woofa

Woofa New Member

Aug 19, 2018
    uk
    Bought a 2001 Triumph Thunderbird after not having a bike for 20yrs. My how things have changed.
    Having problems with starting and fluctuating tick over between 1500- 2000 revs.
    Sometimes it starts no problem but always a fluctuating tick over. I have had to increase tick over by around 1000 revs to stop the bike from stopping.
    Ive replaced the starter solenoid,
    new air box,
    checked tank venting.
    cleaned carbs and synchronised them,
    She seemed ok then. the following day would nt start for a while then eventually started, but the kept stopping increased tick over to keep running but re still fluctuation.
    Could the crank sensor be the problem

2. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Unlikely to be the cps, sounds like carbs to me

3. Woofa

Woofa New Member

Aug 19, 2018
    uk
    Went to start it this morning, it would nt start at first then started with an erratic fluctuating of the tick over. Then run steady for several minutes and stopped. I started it with the erratic tick over, when I revved it black smoke came out the exhaust. Its settled down with black smoke gradually decreasing. The carbs are worn. It has some old fuel in the tank but I put a gallon of fresh, could it be that I need to drain the complete tank.

4. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Use an additive with fresh fuel & see how you go

5. Woofa

Woofa New Member

Aug 19, 2018
    uk
    Thanks Ken
    Ive manually cleaned the carbs, I noticed there are signs of friction rub on the diaphragm sliders, is this common. The carbs are Mikuni, are there any common faults or problems with these carbs.

Brian

6. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Just to rule out the basics. Have you carried out an engine compression test? You need suck to draw fuel/air in & you need enough squish to create a bang. Think of baking a cake.
    Good suck
    Correct air fuel ratio
    Good squish
    Good Spark delivered at correct time. Bang
    Good exhaust flow for the blow
    Something is not quite right with the ingredients

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Woofa

Woofa New Member

Aug 19, 2018
    uk
    Thanks, I will check. When she first starts she fluctuates then steadies and ticks over fine for 5 min or so. then she slows down and stops. each time she is started from then the time to stalling be comes reduced till in the end she starts having problems starting. each time she starts a cloud of black smoke comes from the exhaust then clears.

woofa

8. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    The black smoke is unburnt fuel. Essentially the engine is flooding with fuel (choking) so fuel/air ratio related

9. Woofa

Woofa New Member

Aug 19, 2018
    uk
    Are, that what I thought right from the beginning when I bought the bike she was running rich. I am stupid, why did nt I follow that through.

Let you know.

Woofa

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    If not fuel running rich, a reduced intensity spark could also create similar symptons

11. Woofa

Woofa New Member

Aug 19, 2018
    uk
    Thanks, just went out and checked problem increasingly worse. As she misfires on cylinders there is a thumping or donking noise that vibrates the carburettor. Plot thickening now.

12. Woofa

Woofa New Member

Aug 19, 2018
    uk
    Thanks, just went out and checked problem increasingly worse. As she misfires on cylinders there is a thumping or donking noise that vibrates the carburettor. Plot thickening now.

13. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    That's starting to sound more like tight inlet valves as pointed out in your other thread, which could also mean tight exhaust valves, time to check all the basics before you move on and verify the current status of the basics.

14. Woofa

Woofa New Member

Aug 19, 2018
    uk
    Thanks, off to hospital now to get my engine sorted, will check basics again.
    Woofa

15. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Valve problems?

16. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    If the carbs are flooding check the floats are not damaged/punctured, and that the float needles are seating correctly.

17. Woofa

Woofa New Member

Aug 19, 2018
    uk
    It appears the electrics have been upgraded with fuel injection ignition coils and Triumph at Edinburgh can’t find the carb although it’s standard. Looking at previous bills loads of caberetta and electric work. Did put new plugs in and wreaked the mixture running fine last night. Started it this morning running fine then stalled at tickover. O dear dipare
    carbs not flooding

18. Woofa

Woofa New Member

Aug 19, 2018
    uk
    What I need is a triumph dealer who really knows carbs so I can identify the right parts. I was going to get a refurb kit but they don’t do one you need to order the individual parts. There are 2 or 3 possibilities. I live on the Isle of Lewis so it’s all got to be done over the phone and email, any one you can suggest.

19. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    I had the same problems with mine, forget triumph, find an old school bike mechanic..... if you live near co Durham I can recommend a guy, in fact the only fella I trust.

20. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham