Boots - Safety Vs Comfort

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Joe2020, Oct 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Joe2020

Joe2020 Member

Jun 18, 2019
    Scotland
    I’m torn as to what boots to get. I had some Richa ones that were reasonably comfortable but leaked so went back. I have some TCX X-Five touring boots and some TCX Mood “urban” boots sat here waiting for me to decide whether to keep either or return them.

The touring boots do up with a zip and Velcro flap. I’m normally a size 44 but there is no chance I can get my foot in that size. After a fight I can get my foot in the size 45 but it feels like I’m going to bust the zip doing it up. And they’re still not comfy - I have quite bad sciatica and they make my legs feel more numb than usual.

The Mood boots on the other hand are very easy to get on and off, despite my lack of mobility, yet I can still get them just right in terms of tightness/security with the laces. They’re leather and GTX so I would hope they’re still reasonable in crap weather despite being shorter.

I know the touring boots offer better protection, but they are considerably less comfortable and it is a real struggle to get them on and off. Are so called “urban” boots that much worse or are they still ok? If I could go to a shop and try on dozens of pairs I would, but I’m at least two hours away.

2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Boots that fit properly will be much safer than one's that affect "feel" or restrict movement ! You can't operate anything safely with feet that won't move freely , and if you can't feel your going to lock up that back wheel.

Avoid falling off before you try to look cool/good ! Buy what fit's , too loose is worse than a little tight. You can always do foot wear up a little tighter or wear thicker sock's if they stretch.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Joe2020

Joe2020 Member

Jun 18, 2019
    Scotland
    Cheers, appreciate the advice.

Luckily for me my Bull-It jeans are 2” longer than my short legs require so there’s sufficient leeway there.

4. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    @Joe2020 are you buying via mail order? That makes things so much more difficult!

I've found there is so much difference between sizes, all of which say size 11, but there's a difference when they use the euro size, some 45 some 46....still apparently an 11 though. Thing is, some 45 fit, some are too small. Why can't they standardise the sizes!

I have a pair of ankle length boots which are very comfortable, but have really struggled to get taller ones. None I have tried as yet have fit. So, you're not on your own!

5. Joe2020

Joe2020 Member

Jun 18, 2019
    Scotland
    Yes I am, other than a day trip to a shop it’s my only option. I’m one of those people that struggles to get wellies on, and can’t pull my socks up, because of my calves.

6. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Similar problems here, mail order is really the best option... Nearest proper bike shop is a 200 mile round trip...which is a nice ride out to be fair. (Mitchells, near Inverness)

I have problems bending my ankles, so boots that don't undo are not an option, they either have to lace up, or have zips. Annoying, seen some really nice boots, and can't get my feet round the ankle.

Bloody annoying to keep ordering stuff to just send it back.

7. Joe2020

Joe2020 Member

Jun 18, 2019
    Scotland
    Same here (Mitchell’s being the closest also, but still 2hrs away). I have a 60 mile round trip to the nearest UPS drop off point to even return stuff!

8. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    I'm up near Caithness, whereabouts are you? Similar story here regarding returns, nearest is Thurso, 74 mile round trip. Hermes deliver here... Eventually. Things are usually a week late by Hermes. If I order parts I have to be sure I have everything I might need before starting anything, as otherwise it really holds things up*. I ordered a pair of boots on the 14th...they ain't here yet.... Be in Mitchell's Friday, all being well. Going to have a good mooch around while I'm there!

*Still wouldn't live anywhere else though. :)

9. Joe2020

Joe2020 Member

Jun 18, 2019
    Scotland
    I’m in Glencoe, so slap bang between Inverness and Glasgow. But as you say, wouldn’t be anywhere else!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    I'm lucky to have found both.

TCX Hero GTX, I had the non Goretex ones which claimed to be waterproof but were not to TCX credit they agreed and I gained a full credit towards the GTX version, well worth the extra £60, all day comfy, no sweat and I can confirm waterproof. Only come in black currently

Screenshot 2019-10-22 at 12.41.04.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    +1 for Daytona boots. I’ve got a pair of the short Goretex ones and although not cheap they’ve been the most comfortable and waterproof boots I’ve ever owned.
    These are the ones I have https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.s...bS9WaLRmWAKDZ23j8w1udL_0jCBs_oBIaAsdyEALw_wcB
    They’re like wearing slippers they’re so comfy, and during my last trip round Scotland my feet were the only bit of me that was dry after riding through torrential rain for hours.

14. Joe2020

Joe2020 Member

Jun 18, 2019
    Scotland
    Cheers, I’ll have a look at those TCX ones. Not sure I can stretch to the Daytona boots right now but they do look lovely!

15. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    I like those TCX boots, but I'd have to dye them black. Particularly like the zip up sides.

Better start saving!

16. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    The ones I posted come in black too mate but don't have zips, the ones Repooh posted are only in black and do have zips but cost a bit more :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  17. dirty big hands

dirty big hands Active Member

Aug 4, 2017
    sussex
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sandalfarm

Sandalfarm New Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Scottish highlands
    I've a pair of altbergs and although Richmond in north yorkshire is a long way , they do measure both feet and ensure that the boots do fit , on the other hand my wife wears waterproof socks when out in the wet and aldi had some on sale last week at £12 a pair

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Hmmmmm. I once worked with a navvy who's wellies leaked. His answer was 'waterproof socks'. Ie, plastic bags. He sealed the tops up with insulation tape. His feet swelled up to the extent that he ended up in hospital having his wellies cut off.

Like the idea of waterproof socks though. I'm thinking the proper thing might just be... Breathable!

20. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Aahh, sure... Its just a wee bit more saving! :)

• Like Like x 1