Boots And Gloves? £17.99! Too Good To Be True?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Big Sandy, Oct 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    Generally you get what you pay for

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    Seems to be actually £61

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole to be honest.
    As already been pointed out, you get what you pay for..

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Not for me - i know you can pay over the odds for the right name sometimes, but I wouldn't want my hands protected by something costing less than 20 quid.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Thought it looked suss.... I wondered if it was a scammer....

Never noticed it was just the gloves, careful wording there suggests it might be both. Good job I don't spend my hard earned lightly :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    i once was caught out and needed to buy a back up pair, went for cheap ones at m&p as I was there, they were fine except when wet trying to remove them the lining in the fingers pulled out and they were so hard to push back in, that I only wore them twice, now mouldering away in the garage somewhere. Presumably the lining is not sewn into the body....waste of money unless desperate to get home without dry gloves, one off useage

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tim L

Tim L Active Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Norn Iron
    If you are on a budget, why not - I have a cheap pair of Tuzo gloves (£13.99) and comfy as feck. They have worn out after about 4 or 5 years, but superglue and duct tape have rescued them (but I have better winter gloves that I use). I might get something like that for my 13 year old daughter who goes pillion sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Superglue and duct tape eh? Makes you wonder why manufacturers go to all that trouble producing gloves made from leather, carbon fibre, aluminium and so on, when they could just use superglue and duct tape. Having said that I don't think I'd want to be wearing DIY-repaired gloves if I hit the road at 45+mph (it happened and my gloves saved my hands).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I equally wouldn't risk my daughter with potentially shoddy safety gear I'm afraid but each to their own : unamused:: unamused:

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    #11 Flay, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Not boots or gloves, but I went through a period of falling off and writing off £200 jackets, which got old quickly, so my last jacket has been a £35 ebay purchase. No makers name, no fancy graphics, but it has been near perfect. Warm, waterproof and armoured where you'd want it. If only I could find all-leather boots as good.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    indeed, but don't assume its wear due to holding his 'motorcycle' handlebar

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. garethr

garethr Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    Yeah, but... :)

I've just bought some eBay £14.99-reduced-from-£35 Weise insulated and waterproof (I hope) gloves to carry in the tailpack as a spare pair for those days when my proper gloves get soaked, and they seem OK.

Preferable to a brand I don't recognize, anyway. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I don't mind if it's been reduced to under £20! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Tim L

Tim L Active Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Norn Iron
    I don't tend to ride like Mark Marquez & co, so don't feel I need to spend £150 on a pair of gloves. I definitely don't feel the need fork out stupid money on a pair of gloves/boots/jacket/trousers/helmet/back protector for a child to wear a dozen times before she outgrows them.
    Doesn't mean I don't care. Some will tell you not to have your kids near a bike full stop - my daughter would kill me for that!
    P.s. the superglue was to fix the velcro wrist strap and is still in place, and strong, months after being applied. The duct tape for a tear in the same area. I'm not sure that is a terribly massive safety issue!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Thing that I never understood is why there is so much armour on the backs of gloves.... Any time I have had an off its been my palms hit the ground first, not the backs. Woven kevlar in the palms is a good idea.

Though I suppose armour on the backs is good for other kinds of impact.... :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    I don't mind spending money on decent kit. I don't spend on posh brand names, unless it's something I have had before and like... My fabric jackets and trousers, were about £200, boots £60...helmet (an agv.) on sale at £120 (I like sales) leathers about £200 I guess... Gloves, well I've been wearing the same pair for 30 years! Treated with neatsfoot oil every so often, supple and like new still. The only clothing item that still fits....... Still have my first jacket too, brando style, 44 chest. Sometimes I can get in it, sometimes (mostly) not. Couldn't bear to get shot of it though.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

This is an interesting take on the the fake/knock off market... admittedly, he works for a motorsports distribution company... but still worth a gander

• Like Like x 2
  19. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    Very informative DCS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    The same guys does all sorts of motorcycle related products and he usually goes into a proper level of detail, just bare in mind that he's based in US of A so some of the makes and models of stuff might not be avail in Europe or UK.

• Agree Agree x 3