Bonnie Steering Lock, No Key, Worth Replacing?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by MartyWilson, Jul 25, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

My 2001 Bonnie came to me with both ignition keys (one entirely unused) but no steering lock keys. Is it worth taking the key code and getting a replacement (no doubt at an extortionate price) or are these steering locks somewhat pointless in the first place? Do steering locks save bikes from anything but the passing opportunist?

2. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    A steering lock blank key costs about 9 quid from Triumph. A guy I know never uses a steering lock, as he believes they serve little deterrent, but are a major pain if a thief breaks it. Not sure though how your insurance provider would view the situation if your bike ever got stolen and they discovered the steering lock was not in use :confused:

3. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Is it just a matter of taking the key blank and the number on the tag to a key cutter and having it cut? Never had to do this sort of thing before so forgive my ignorance of the process.

I would have thought that, if the thief has got past my alarmed disc lock when I am out and about or also through my chained garden gates and managed to manoeuvre the bike out and past my car after getting out one gate or down the narrow path from my other gate out to the road I am guessing whether the steering lock was on or not would be a moot point but I hear what you say about the insurance companies - Pain in the butt they are and I know they will use every trick in the book to try and wriggle out. My brother used to be an insurance man and I wouldn't trust him even though he is kin :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    problem is like mine if you don't have the key no triumph want a lot of money to match the key with the frame no. if you buy the hole lock it has to be welded in when you get the old one out these steering locks break easy with a good hit to the bars I didn't worry about it to much trouble, just get a disc look or pad lock to put through the front disc if you are worried about where its parked

• Like Like x 2
  5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Don't bother. The Bonneville steering lock is notoriously difficult and fiddly to use and even more notorious for snapping off the key in the barrel! :mad::mad:

• Like Like x 2
  6. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    I had one original key, so I only needed a blank, which I got copied for no charge (just put a quid in charity box) at my local Timpsons. I just wanted two complete sets of keys to satisfy my OCD. I very rarely, if ever, use my steering lock as I use an alarmed disk lock and when my bikes are in the garage they are both also chained with ground anchors. When I do use the steering lock, I don't find it difficult to use, but they can be if not kept lubricated.

• Like Like x 2