Bonnie Died

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Ricobanko1977, May 28, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ricobanko1977

Ricobanko1977 Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Lymington
    hey guys

My bonnie has died. Went to start her today and she wouldn’t fire up. Lights come on strong but all I get is a strong click. I read somewhere that it could be the starter relay so took it apart and pushed the contacts together manually. The bike Tried to start but couldn’t. Could this be a battery issue? I tried to get a jump off of our car but she still wouldn’t start. Any ideas?

2. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
  3. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Its worth checking that battery as above I usually connect my multimetre then switch all the lights on then press the starter button if theres a defective cell or short you will see your metre drop to whatever the voltage is the last defective battery I did this on went down to 4.8 Volts not enough amperage there to wind the starter motor over I hope this helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    When activated by the Starter Switch, the Relay directs power from the Battery to the Starter Solenoid to engage the Starter Motor.

Based on the fact that you have lights and you heard the click in the Starter Relay I think the following is what a service manual would normally suggest. Secure the bike first and make sure it's in neutral.

If you hear a CLICK, run a jumper cable from the positive terminal of the Battery to the positive terminal of the Starter Motor.
    a) If the Starter Motor turns over, you may have a loose or damaged Cable; or a bad Starter Relay or Solenoid.
    b) If the Starter Motor does NOT turn over, you may have a bad Starter Motor.

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. Ricobanko1977

Ricobanko1977 Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Lymington
    Thanks guys. I’ll try out the suggested. One more question tho. If it’s the battery as has been suggested why wouldn’t the bike start when connected to a car battery?

6. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    Unless you are pretty careful to make a good connection, regular car jumper cables are fairly large when compared to the battery terminals and tight spaces on a bike. Sometimes, you think you have a connection, but they really aren't touching.

Try the battery checks first (easy enough) and if it looks OK, then try the steps I outlined to see if you can isolate the problem.

Let us know what you find.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Patchinko

Patchinko Senior Member

Feb 1, 2018
    S.W. Hants

I had the same problem, turned out to be the battery.
    As has been mentioned earlier they are very fussy about the voltage. When I replaced it with a Yuasa battery it seemed less fussy???

I've got a spare battery here if you want to try it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Pretty sure it will be the battery :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I had a similar problem, and like Pat said, turned out to be the battery. They don't last forever.

• Agree Agree x 1