Bonnie America Headlight Upgrade

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Lyles124, Oct 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Lyles124

Lyles124 New Member

Mar 1, 2019
    USA
    If this has been asked before I apologize as I couldn’t find a thread on it.

For a 2006 America, can you replace the headlight halogen bulb with a LED bulb (plug and play)?

Or is there a LED insert (plug and play) to put into the housing?

Thanks gents!

2. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    They DO make LEDs that plug right in to your H-2 socket. I tried one for a.year or two on my '02 America. My complaint was that it did not seem to work well with the stock Triumph lens. When it failed prematurely I went to a yellow H-2 bulb. I do not ride at night much so my priority is not so much to see better. It is more an issue of BEING SEEN by the crazy drivers around here. Motorcraft makes a bulb that is very yellow and stands out in traffic like a sore thumb. If you really want to go LED, I would recommend you change the whole light assembly. The look is different, but a LED seems to need a lens that is made for it. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Lyles124

Lyles124 New Member

Mar 1, 2019
    USA
    Thank you sir! That is what I was thinking as well. I have heard of LED bulbs throwing light out in weird directions vs. using the standard halogen bulb. I may give the LED a shot and see how I like it. My only concern that it would flicker from the bike thinking the halogen was out.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Excuse me. I called these an"H-2". The proper designation is H-4. The bulb I used is a Motorcraft #48885 yellow H-4. You can pick them up on Ebay for under $20. H-2's are the small ones used in some fog lights. I get them mixed up sometimes. ...J.D.

5. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    I think wire wheels is right about having the proper lens I put led bulbs in my fireblade and it failed the mot it was throwing the wrong beam on there machine

• Useful Useful x 1