Bonneville T120 Quad Lock Solution/idea

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by DanNotTheMan, Apr 10, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DanNotTheMan

DanNotTheMan New Member

Apr 10, 2023
    Austria
    #1 DanNotTheMan, Apr 10, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
    Just wanted to show what I have come up with to mount the Quad Lock System.

What I wanted: Mount the phone dead center on the handlebar.

After hours of searching and only really being left with either Thornton's Handlebar clamp with the quad lock teeth cnc'ed (which wasn't at all what I wanted), Image Conceptz's handlebar piece (which would have been acceptable but I wasn't keen of paying pretty much the price of the item itself for shipping) and some other option which simply did not look good. I made my own piece. 3mm thick aluminum to which the 2 hole Quad Lock Plate is bolted onto. USB charger, vibration dampener and wireless charging head.

The only really complaint that I have still is that the whole 'sandwich' is relatively tall. I tried ditching the dampener but I didn't have a screw long enough (nor does quad lock include a sufficiently long enough one) to mount the wireless charger through the USB charger onto the bottom plate. It just threads in a couple of turns and I don't trust it not backing out. Might just do another trip to the hardware store and get a longer screw though. Does anybody know if the dampener is solely to protect the OIS of the camera or do other internals of the phone need protection from vibration as well?

As for the phone, I am using an old iPhone XR exclusively for the motorcycle mount because its rear camera is busted somehow (not through lack of using a dampener. Was never used on a bike. It simply stopped working a long time ago, so my step dad got a new phone a long time ago and now gifted me this one)

Let me know what you think and hopefully this inspires some of you to go make your own stuff. If you did something similar and made your own part, please feel free to share it!

IMG_1047.jpeg
    IMG_1049.jpeg IMG_1048.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    Your mount looks great! Like a real buyable product!
    Only the camera needs a dampener. Due to the very small lense systems of the modern smartphone cameras. The do not like any hard "moves" or vibrations.

• Like Like x 1
  3. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    As Markus said, that's commercial quality!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    #4 Baza, Apr 18, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
    Very similar to the one I made for my Street Triple. I didn’t need a charger because I ran a USB/Lightning cable from the USB outlet under the seat to the bars. I used the knuckle joint to give me flexibility on viewing angle of the phone but I did have to shave the inner toothed portion on its base down a fraz to maximise its footprint on the ally base.

IMG_4370.jpeg

As for vibration I’m not convinced that with the phone mounted where it is the dampener is a necessity. My reason for saying this is I reckon that the damage suffered by phones is exacerbated the further the phone is mounted away from the centre of the top yoke, and further amplified the longer the stalk the phone is actually mounted on.

To support my theory you can see below the Quadlock mount that I have customised to fit dead centre on the top yoke of my Ducati. This was done a few years back whilst the Quadlock range was in its infancy (no vibration dampener available and before there was any hint of a problem). I have never had any problem with at least three different iPhone models using this mount. Whilst this mount was intended for a push bike’s handlebar you can now get an insert for it to sit on a flat base. This mount won’t take the anti vibration dampener.

IMG_0513.jpeg

IMG_0050.jpeg

If you need to get creative with the Quadlock kit I think all the screws are M3 and invariably countersunk. Their tech support is first class. And if you need any stainless steel fixings look no further than these guys. I have used them on a number of occasions and cannot fault them. Like Quadlock their tech support is spot on.

• Useful Useful x 1