Bonneville T120 Owners With Bench Seat!

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Goonergoose, Feb 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Well i finally purchased one of the Triumph Bench seats for my T120 Black.
    Now it says it cant be fitted with the grab rail. I knew this but its still not clicking in properly.
    I'm just wondering, does this mean I also have to remove the U shaped piece of frame that the grab rail bolts to?
    Or is it simply loose just the grab rail? It maybe i just need a little more patience:)
    Any advice much appreciated!

2. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Surprised no one has chipped in on this!
    Perhaps the bench seat isn't a popular mod?
    Give Triumph / the local dealer a ring?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yes thank you, think I’m going to have to

4. John C

John C New Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Canada
    I too removed the grab rail, but left the u shaped piece in place and the seat does not click through all the way in and can be popped off. What did your dealer or triumph say?

• Like Like x 1
  5. He just explained a bolt that is situated near the rear shocks. Undo that either side and it just comes off(part of the grab rail support. As I’ve taken that off I didn’t want that rail either.

D302AB1D-66D2-4D5E-91FA-2B0CBD76753B.jpeg

6. John C

John C New Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Canada
    Thanks. Is it attached to the rear shock? It looks like it on mine.

It would be good to leave that u piece on. From what I can see, the bolts in the back are what causes the bench seat not to fit all the way. I’m thinking of removing two of them, or even carving out the under side of the seat so that it would fit.

7. Yes John, exactly right. I couldn’t get my new bench seat to locate properly so that ‘U’ backet had to go. Without the grab rail it serves no purpose and it’s extra weight, not that shaving a few pounds matters with my Lardy arse on it anyway!
    When I had removed it, all was good, it just clicked in as it should. Yes I believe it was connected to the rear shock but it was easy to remove.

8. Martin Joseph Lowe

Martin Joseph Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Merseyside
    If I do mine...I’m getting triumph to do it!! What a chew on! Good luck..

9. John C

John C New Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Canada
    #9 John C, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    So I did end up carving out the underside of the seat to allow room for those 4 bolts. I did it by making a transfer with wax paper and a pencil. I used the main lock pin and its 2 little bolts to align the wax paper. Then I put the paper on the seat, and marked out where the bolts are. Then I got carving with a very sharp utility knife. I went pretty close to the bottom of the seat surface, about 2mm close. The seat fits perfectly after that, and locks into place as expected.

Seems like a pretty easy thing for Triumph to account for when manufacturing these seats no?

Hope that helps someone else.

• Like Like x 1