Bonneville T120 Exhaust Advice

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Keith Harris, Apr 19, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Keith Harris

Keith Harris New Member

Apr 19, 2020
    Norway
    Hi,
    Just joined the forum. Recently purchased a T120 ( Bud Ekins special edition). Dont like the pea shooters however and was thinking about replacing them maybe with Sleeper pros or a pair of Predator shorties. Can anyone offer any advice? Looking for any help I can get.

Keith

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bonnie Sodbury

Bonnie Sodbury New Member

Apr 15, 2020
    Bristol
    BC Sleeper Pros look and sound great (not too loud) and are easy to fit but become expensive depending on exchange rates and the inclusion of import duty. BC do offer discounts throughout the year though.

bonnie.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Keith Harris

Keith Harris New Member

Apr 19, 2020
    Norway
    Yeah, I was a bit worried that they would detract from the looks of the bike and they are expensive. I think there are a couple of UK companies supplying the pipes for around GBP790 or so..OUCH!

Is it worth considering an x-pipe?

Keitih

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    #4 Flashp, Apr 23, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    Norman Hyde's do some decent parts for these. The Toga's look very much the original Bonneville pipes. A de-cat really takes the cork out of the bottle for sound, thoroughly recommend that mod. This is my T100 with NH Toga's, de-cat and Power Commander, it's a kit they sell.
    I think the OE silencers look like over-stuffed sausages.

It's my understanding that the T120 ECU is more adaptive than that in the T100. For the sound this will give you a clue:

• Like Like x 6
  5. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Welcome mate, I agree on the Norman Hyde equipment that guy has been going for years now and its good quality.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Kenny11

Kenny11 New Member

Jun 17, 2019
    New Forest
    20191214_142042_resize_57.jpg
    Welcome Keith,
    I bought the bc midi pipes and an x pipe, was a bit pricey mind £700 all in,
    Got to say it sounds sweet and not to loud.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Red26

Red26 Member

Apr 24, 2020
    Australia
    I have a 2018 T120. If you improve the exhaust flow to get the benefit from that exhaust you have to balance the engine on the intake side as well otherwise you probably wont get much of a benefit. Heres a trick. Remove the left hand side cover and locate the air snorkel. There is only one small torque head screw holding it in. Undo the screw and yank the dam thing out. The snorkel supresses the air flow a lot. I took the snorkel of my T120 and still have standard pea shooters. When I took the bike for a ride after removing the snorkel I was very surprised at the increased performance. Much sharper pick up in revs and the sound is great too. In the blink of an eye I went through 1st 2nd and 3rd gear and was heading for a 170kmh. I was pleasantly surprised at the increase in performance. When you remove the snorkel start the bike and let it idle until it finishes the cooling cycle and you hear the fan go off. It may take 15 minutes or so, this is to allow the electronic system time to adjust to the new air flow which is significanly better.
    Love it a performance increase for free.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Keith Harris

Keith Harris New Member

Apr 19, 2020
    Norway
    Hi Guys,

Lots of good stuff to mull over here. One other thing..... A lot of people complained about the rear shocks and front springs on the earlier Bonnevilles (2016 - 2018). Has there been any improvement to the suspension on the latest T120s?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Keith Harris

Keith Harris New Member

Apr 19, 2020
    Norway
    two bikes copy.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  10. Kenny11

Kenny11 New Member

Jun 17, 2019
    New Forest
    What a lovely pair :heart_eyes:

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    I to got the Norman Hyde Pea shooters but am totally disappointed with them. They are great pipes sound right but keep rusting around the mounting brackets. And after paying a small packet for them I am going to dump them and possibly try the Dunstalls.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Useful Useful x 2
  12. Red26

Red26 Member

Apr 24, 2020
    Australia
    Hey Kieth, I ride a 2018 1200 Bonny. I found the rear shocks are as good as most standard bikes but the could use some adjustable dampening for sure.
    Whilst the front shocks were sufficient I found under heavy and sudden breaking they had too much brake dive for my liking. I bought a full front spring upgrade from TECBIKEPARTS. This included better springs and spacers and it also had top nut preload adjusters which I have found really usefull. Now I can adjust the front shock stiffness and rideability with the twist of a spanner. I found these really very good and the bike turns in to corners better and the springs keep the tyre on the road better. Not saying the standard Bonny did not handle well because it does, very well if you learn how to ride it properly.
    My Bonny handles really well now and no one gets away from me around corners.
    I think apart from a screen up the front the front forks should be the first thing to upgrade followed by the rear shocks and then you will have a bike that will be very hard to beat around corners no matter what they are riding.
    Im going to put YSS G series shocks on the rear, expensive yes but are rebuildable and use a separate gas canister ie (piggy back). They have preload adjusters using a threaded castle nut. They also have rebound dampening and compression dampening. Have not used them before but I have done some research on shocks. You can get YSS more basic shocks a lot cheaper and pretty good too with good preload adjusters and rebound dampening and they are from what Ive read very good. They would be very good for road riding. You can get different grade of springs and different ride heights when you order them.

Anyway just what I have done on my Bonny and I love it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Red26

Red26 Member

Apr 24, 2020
    Australia
    Hey Kieth, I ride a 2018 1200 Bonny. I found the rear shocks are as good as most standard bikes but the could use some adjustable dampening for sure.
    Whilst the front shocks were sufficient I found under heavy and sudden breaking they had too much brake dive for my liking. I bought a full front spring upgrade from TECBIKEPARTS. This included better springs and spacers and it also had top nut preload adjusters which I have found really usefull. Now I can adjust the front shock stiffness and rideability with the twist of a spanner. I found these really very good and the bike turns in to corners better and the springs keep the tyre on the road better. Not saying the standard Bonny did not handle well because it does, very well if you learn how to ride it properly.
    My Bonny handles really well now and no one gets away from me around corners.
    I think apart from a screen up the front the front forks should be the first thing to upgrade followed by the rear shocks and then you will have a bike that will be very hard to beat around corners no matter what they are riding.
    Im going to put YSS G series shocks on the rear, expensive yes but are rebuildable and use a separate gas canister ie (piggy back). They have preload adjusters using a threaded castle nut. They also have rebound dampening and compression dampening. Have not used them before but I have done some research on shocks. You can get YSS more basic shocks a lot cheaper and pretty good too with good preload adjusters and rebound dampening and they are from what Ive read very good. They would be very good for road riding. You can get different grade of springs and different ride heights when you order them.

Anyway just what I have done on my Bonny and I love it.
    Nice bikes Keith. I would be interested in seeing some phots of your intake mod. I thought about using the snorkel and cutting it right down, attaching it behind the intake hole like a bit of a scoop to try and force more air into the box. Good point on the sharp edged hole it will be creating turbulence for sure.
    Take some phots when you get time. Would be much appreciated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Have you talked to them about it? If you haven't it might be worth a go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    Remus shorties on my T120, lovely sound with different notes through the rev range, won't be changing them for sure.

IMG_20190824_094914.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  16. David Gilding

David Gilding Member

May 25, 2018
    Hampshire
    There has on mine as I fitted TEC springs and Hagon Shocks, now a completely different bike ! I also changed the tyres as the stock ones were useless in the wet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Don the Don

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    That is one good looking bike

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Don the Don

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    That is one good looking bike

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. bud918p

bud918p Member

Oct 23, 2016
    tyneside jarrow
    I put remus on my t120 black nice sound, good quality and you dont have to remove them to tighten the chain

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. FatLadsRacing

FatLadsRacing Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2019
    South Shields, England
    Just jumping in on this thread, I love the look of reverse cone silencers. Spoke to Norman Hyde, who have some reasonably priced items, but they said they would be loud with the bike de-catted. Does anyone know if speed twin silencers are an easy fit as I like the style? The predators are nice but expensive & same noise issue without the cat. Interested in opinions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1