Bonneville T100 Vs T120

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by CapSalas, Jan 28, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. CapSalas

CapSalas New Member

Jan 28, 2021
    Miami
    Hello ladies and gents,

New to the forum, glad to be here!
    I currently ride BMW 310GS 2019 (nope I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it) don't get me wrong it is a super fun bike but I have decided it is time for the two of us to part ways.:joy::joy::joy::joy:

I am now in the market for a TRIUMPH MOTORCYCLE! I'm currently inclined more towards the T100 (just because of the price) but I am starting to think that the best buy (not the electronics store) is gonna be the T120. I live in Miami and highways are sometimes a must and I would definitely like to do some riding across the state (not much but at least 3 trips a year). Is the T100 gonna be enough on the highway? I am 145 pounds and my wife is 115 so weight might help us a little.

Also, how much of a downside is the single disk on the front brake of the T100?
    What speed is comfortable for the T100 on the highway?

Thanks in advance!

2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Howdy CapSalas :cool:

3. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Hi and welcome, either bike would be fine for the uses you describe. The T100 will cruise comfortably at a speed of 60 - 70mph and being a naked bike anything much faster becomes very tiring after a while. The single front brake is adequate, the twin disc set up of the T120 is much better and the T120 will cruise at a faster speed, but whether you will feel comfortable on an unfaired bike is debatable.

Out of choice I would go for the T120 but if there was a cracking deal on a T100 then that could sway me leaving some cash for extras!

4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  5. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Welcome to the forum.
    Both nice bikes. You could always get the T100 and if you found it lacking with a pillion TEC do an aftermarket cam-shaft for a healthy upgrade in power.

6. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Go for the T120. I've got a Street Twin, which has the same engine and brakes as the T100. I chose the ST over the T100 because of looks, it was easier to modify and there was a good deal on offer. However, for long distance rides I find it underpowered and on occasion I've wished for better brakes. I know the ST wasn't designed as a tourer but neither is the T120. If you're thinking of long journeys, especially with a pillion, the T120 is the better choice.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. 357sigman

357sigman Member

Nov 29, 2020
    Florida
    we were faced with the same choice. went with the t120 over the t100 cause of the braking and extra power. it just felt better two up also . also we are a lot bigger then you and it pulls us just fine no problem on Rt 95 here in the mid part of Florida.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Vectis John

Vectis John Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2019
    Isle of Wight
    I have the T100 and test rode both.
    The T100 has a five speed box instead of six on the T120. I find the brakes, with EBC pads are fine as is the 5 speed box.
    The reason I chose the 100 was the way it rode. In my opinion the 100 is a bit softer and way more relaxing. The 120 is more aggressive in its power delivery and ride.
    Cruising at 70 is easy on the 100 and you can wind it up to a 100 but that’s when you notice the power difference.
    As they are both naked anything above 65 /70 is tiresome. I have a Marlin screen on mine which makes a small difference.
    Ultimately it’s what’s best for you, best bet would be to ride them back to back.

• Like Like x 1
  9. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I thought the Street Twin has an upgraded engine with more power now over the T100 ?

10. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Don't know about the T100, but the street twin got a healthy boost in power, about 10 or 12hp. I have one and it has enough grunt to overtake 60mph traffic. I would say minus the upgrade it could well feel a little lacking

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    You are correct. Mine is a 2017 model. I don't think the T100 was upgraded and therefore my ST and the T100 share the same engine.

• Like Like x 1
  12. triumph900

triumph900 Active Member

Dec 24, 2017
    US
    If you’re considering water cooled T100 vs T120, then T120 is my recommendation. 6 speed, more power makes it a no brainer to me. I love mine!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. ILeftNJ

ILeftNJ New Member

Jan 26, 2021
    Pennsylvania USA

I am older rider and returned to motorcycling after a 30 year break. I got a good deal on a '15 865cc T100. After 2 years I would like more cruising power on Highways. I am 190 and always solo. I could stick with the T 100. There is a Youtube of a dude that went cross country on his T100. That said my '15 is still relatively new and I can get a good deal on a '18 T120 I am trading up.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Jamie Jamieson

Jamie Jamieson New Member

Dec 19, 2020
    Cheltenham
    Hi CapSalas. I've had a T100 in Tulsa, OK since 2006 and love it. I barely notice the additional weight of my wife when she's with me (she weighs around 103 pounds). I've never been aware of a problem with the front brake. I prefer hinterland to highways, so speed isn't important to me. I also bought a Sport 1050 recently, and if you plan to spend more time on longer distances, I'd suggest looking at that, it's a very comfortable tourer. The new Sport 850 might be worth looking at, it'll have plenty of power.

• Like Like x 2
  15. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    #15 cliverdee, Feb 2, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    Hi, whichever you are thinking of don’t get your hopes high for comfortable motorway touring by fitting a big screen to it. I put a large Madstad on my Street Scrambler and it just doesn’t deal at all well with wind blast and even makes it uncomfortable over 40mph. If you are two up I would suggest the T120 is a much better buy over the ‘not uprated’ 54 bhp T100 .. have fun :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jack Black

Jack Black Active Member

Apr 10, 2020
    Thailand
    Hi Mate - have a look at this and the interesting comments, if you haven't already. I had a T100 and it just felt lacking; I now have a Speed Twin and couldn't be happier.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Some great comments from the above. For my 2 pence worth if your choice is between the T100 and T120 it would be the T120 every day. I had a new street twin with the 5 speed gear box and power output as the T100 and I swapped it for a speed twin (same engine as the T120) a much better bike. However for touring I have a Tiger Sport 1050 which in my view is a much better bet for two up touring. I still love the big twins, so I went for a Thruxton R to fulfil my big twin grin factor :).

• Like Like x 1
  18. CJExpat

CJExpat New Member

Jan 2, 2021
    Reading, UK
    Just upgraded from a 2019 T100 to a 2018 T120 and all of the comments above make good sense. The T100 is a superb bike for solo short/medium distance riding and a joy to ride, particularly if you prefer slightly less aggressive & powerful acceleration - but TBF neither bike is particularly powerful (58 BHP / 85 BHP respectively). If you're going for regular two-up touring and you don't mind a slightly heavier bike, I would agree T120 is the choice. Plus you get the heated grips and centre stand as standard!

• Like Like x 3
  19. jdwalmsley

jdwalmsley Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    british columbia
    Hi, I tested both the T100 and T120 (as well as the Street Twin) when I bought my bike last year (2020 models). Choice was easy when I got to the T120, much better brakes, 6th gear makes a difference when highway riding with a low rev, high torque engine. Add the heated grips and center stand, and the extra $$$ made it a better value. I added a Dart flyscreen in the spring and, for such a small footprint, it makes a significant difference in wind effect on the highway. My riding profile sounds a lot like yours, and I haven't had any regrets about my choice. Added benefit, I got the T120 Ace Cafe, which turns heads wherever I go.

• Like Like x 1