Bonneville T100 Break Light

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Rugh Collins, Jun 25, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rugh Collins

Rugh Collins New Member

Apr 15, 2018
    Brackley
    Hi, I have an issue with the break light on my 2008 T100 Bonnie. The light seems to be stuck on permanently. It doesn't do anything when you use the front break and rather than coming on when you use the back, it just dims a bit. Has anyone else had a similar issue or know what part I might need to change? Cheers Ruth

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hi, have you been doing any work on it recently? I would check the cables around the area where they come in at the mudguard for any wear.

3. Rugh Collins

Rugh Collins New Member

Apr 15, 2018
    Brackley
    No, not done any work on the bike and I think my husband said it was a sealed unit so no loose wires. I think I'll have to contact triumph before for the part number. Many thanks for your help Ruth

4. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Hi Ruth, is it the traditional type of brake light switch, what I mean is has it got a spring connected to the brake pedal pulling on a small metal rod? If it is then it could be that causing the problem. Water can get past the rubber seal corroding the contacts. Give it a good squirt of WD40 or similar behind the seal whilst working the switch back and forth. If it doesn’t improve it could need replacing. As for the front you’ll have to have a look at that switch under the brake lever, it’s quite small but you should be able to hear a faint click as it operates. Apart from checking all the wires for damage that’s about all that’s involved with putting the brake light on. It’s an mot requirement that it works on both front and rear. Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Yes, try WD40 (other penetrating oil and water-displacing sprays are available) before contacting the dealer!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rugh Collins

Rugh Collins New Member

Apr 15, 2018
    Brackley
    Many thanks Yorkshireman, this gives us a few things to look at

• Like Like x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. Rugh Collins

Rugh Collins New Member

Apr 15, 2018
    Brackley
    Thanks Steve, we'll get on to it

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rugh Collins

Rugh Collins New Member

Apr 15, 2018
    Brackley
    Hi all, following the above advice we've had a look and narrowed down the issue to the part in this picture. Could anyone please Identify the part? The switch inside is sticking. If it's disconnected the front break operates the light OK but when it's connected, the light sticks on.

Many thanks Ruth

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BamJzabNvNqSXMrq8

9. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    That is the master cylinder for the rear brake. The dark bit, sorry for the simplified explanation here, has a rod underneath connected to the brake pedal and contains a piston which when you put your foot on the pedal pushes brake fluid through the hose and puts the rear brake on. The bit at the top with the two spade connectors on is the switch. I’m not 100% on how these work, either by the increase in pressure when the pedal is pressed, or by making contact inside when the pedal is pressed but that is the bit you’ll need to change and looking at how it screws off you will need to remove the pedal, and master cylinder and be prepared to bleed the system after wards as it forms part of the brake hoses. Hope that all makes sense.

10. Brian Martin

Brian Martin New Member

May 31, 2021
    Port Saint Lucie Florida
    You Need a Triumph Bonneville T100 Rear Brake Light Switch Sensor

11. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

....and l think you may need a new calendar :p:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1