Bonneville T100 2015 Aftermarket Exhaust Or De-cat X Pipe

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Milind Dhanak, Jul 3, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Milind Dhanak

Milind Dhanak New Member

Jul 3, 2018
    London
    Hi All,

I have a 2015 Bonneville T100 Black that I am looking to do some mods on. As always, the exhaust sound is dull so I am interested to hear what the better option is - New Aftermarket exhausts or De-Cat X pipes.

From what I have read so far, the De-Cat X pipes are only for 2016 up liquid cooled models. If anyone know of De-Cat X pipes for EFI models upto 2015, I would be grateful.

Second option is the aftermarket exhausts. I am happy with the looks of the original exhausts so if anyone can recommend a similar looking but more importantly U.K. road legal exhaust/slip ons then that would be great.

I am currently planning to do following mods:

1) Move mirrors to handlebars (TEC)
    2) Change indicators and taillight with Complete Bolt-on Retro style kit from Square Deals
    3) Retractable Gas cap from Square Deals
    4) Front indicator relocation (using TEC bracket)
    5) Move Rectifier (using TEC rectifier and horn relocator bracket)

2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    If your bike is an air cooled Bonneville with the 865cc EFI engine then it won't have any "cats" to de-cat. :D:D
    Plenty of aftermarket pipes out there though - I believe Arrows are going cheap at the moment.

3. Milind Dhanak

Milind Dhanak New Member

Jul 3, 2018
    London
    Thanks steve for the info on "Cats". I was suspecting it as I couldn't find any option.
    With the Arrows, I don't really like the looks of it designed for Bonneville and would prefer to keep with existing look of the pipes.
    Would I need to change the whole exhaust or are there slips on that can be put on Bonneville T100 to improve the sound?

4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    You only need to change the silencers and not the whole system.
    Triumph do their own "TORS" pipes for the respective Bonnie models - I have them on my Bonneville SE. They look identical to the originals but are a straight through pipe. Some people moan that they are too quiet but that is only at tick over and very low revs - they make a decent enough sound when opened up.
    You could look at TEC bike parts, Dunstall or Norman Hyde TOGAS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Milind Dhanak

Milind Dhanak New Member

Jul 3, 2018
    London
    After a bit of research and looking around, I have decided to go with Dunstall as they seem to be loud, good and value for money.

I am assuming EFI remapping will be required for the new Dunstall silencers? Also, does this count as a modification on the Bike and needs to be disclosed to the Insurance? If yes, I am assuming the cheat insurance co's will want to stump up their premiums.

6. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The 865 Bonneville's after 2008 were EFI and there fore had catalytic converters inside the mufflers ! If you replace the mufflers with after market then you have just done a 'De-Cat' as most mufflers don't come with catalyst's in them !
    If you put non-cat mufflers on the popping will be loader on bikes still fitted with the AIS system still intact !!
    So get a marble or ball bearing ready to block the rubber pipe into the air filter box , check for where it is on your model ! It's usually on the upper front left on most ...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Tallaferro

Tallaferro Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2018
    Catalonia
    Hi,

You can check my post in TriumphRat in regards of how to stop wild popping after changing for NH Exhausts.

Mine is still under Triumph warranty so I tried only the OEM Maps (they kindly change them for me on my local Triumph dealer). Both the "Triumph Aftersales" and the "2-2" Maps helps stop the popping (I am using now the Aftersales as it gives a slightly more rough behaiviour and sound that I like) BUT to stop it you will need to block the AI system, which is what and how I explain on this link:

https://www.triumphrat.net/air-cool.../836226-ai-full-removal-vs-hose-blocking.html

8. Milind Dhanak

Milind Dhanak New Member

Jul 3, 2018
    London
    Thanks Tallaferro. I have just installed Dunstall exhausts and will go through your link to see how to stop wild popping.

9. Milind Dhanak

Milind Dhanak New Member

Jul 3, 2018
    London
    Thanks Tallferro.

As always, the popping wouldn't stop with the remapping of ECU with Triumph TOR so I am going with your suggestion to block it with a 14mm ball bearing. I have ordered one over ebay and hopefully, fingers crossed that solution shouldn't cause any issues or damage to the AIS system. Longer run, I am planning to either have a stop valve or just remove it completely depending on how much time I can spend on the bike.

10. Tallaferro

Tallaferro Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2018
    Catalonia
    Hi,

I did close to 20.000 Kms like that with no problem... Just make sure the ball is stuck on the hose so it does not "flow" into the bike.
    I saw somebody with a valve (a ball-valve type like a water tap) so you can close or open the AI system to pass any environmental test.

Let us know about the result!

Br

11. horned one

horned one Member

Jul 29, 2016
    rhondda
    Just get rid of all the crap they put inside the factory fitted silencers (there are lots of "how to" articles and pics) it ain't difficult. The result is you have the pipes which were designed to look good on the bike, but now they also sound good too. Also they are now very loud but still have the "road legal" info stamped on them!

12. Milind Dhanak

Milind Dhanak New Member

Jul 3, 2018
    London
    A quick update on the result. Surprisingly, I just remapped to 20505Map.hex OEM md5checksum which is for use with LCD Odometer - Use with Arrow 2-2 system, LCD odometer. Fuel up to E10. Minimum 91 RON (87 RON/MON) fuel. Previously I had mapped to 20500 map which is for Arrow 2-2 system but with E25 fuel and the popping continued. However, after tuning to 20505 which is for E10 fuel, the popping seems to have gone completely without any blocking or removal of AI. I have done first ride today to work and it seemed perfectly fine. Whether this will affect my mpg reading, I will know in a week or two.

• Like Like x 1