Bonneville SE Speedo not working

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by spooncoot, Jun 18, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. spooncoot

spooncoot New Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Coventry
    I recently changed the front wheel on my 2009 Bonneville SE, due to the original wheel having a pinhole and leaking air. I got a used wheel off ebay and this is holding air, but now the speedo won't work.
    I'm guessing I've put something back the wrong way round, but what ? Any ideas ?

Haven't had chance to have a look yet, but hopefully get it in my mates workshop on Monday.

2. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Speedo runs from the gearbox on my 2013 Bonneville not front wheel uf that's any good?

3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    The speedo on my 2010 T100 ran from the gearbox also - not sure they swapped using the front wheel for the gearbox.

Could you take of a picture of the front wheel from the nearside and post it on here so we can have a look. Ideally 2 pics: 1 from from 2/3 mtrs and the other from close up on the hub?

It is connected properly at the speedo head I take it?

4. spooncoot

spooncoot New Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Coventry
    #4 spooncoot, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  5. spooncoot

spooncoot New Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Coventry
    #5 spooncoot, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    Looking at the pics I'm thinking maybe I didn't get the two tabs from the speedo drive washer into the drive. Looks like the speedo drive only goes half way along the stop on the forks.. If that makes sense ?

6. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    It looks to me like the spacer has been installed the wrong way around. As a result the stops on the forks are not meshing correctly with the speedo drive.

• Like Like x 1
  7. spooncoot

spooncoot New Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Coventry
    Thanks thebiglad. I've come to that conclusion myself. I hope to get it sorted tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

8. spooncoot

spooncoot New Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Coventry
    Well, I got it sorted today. I'm almost ashamed to admit what the problem was :oops:
    At least you can have a good laugh at my expense..

Took the wheel off and there was no speedo drive washer. In our haste to get the wheel on, we never even noticed..lol
    Took the washer out of the old wheel and into the new one, re assembled it and hey presto, one working speedo.:D

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions, they are all much appreciated..

• Like Like x 1
  9. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    The most important this is that you managed to sort it out the bike is working properly again - YOU WALLY :D:D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  10. spooncoot

spooncoot New Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Coventry
    Like you say, the main thing is it's sorted..It's good to have a laugh as well.:D

• Like Like x 2