Bonneville screen- how have you found yours?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Spacebat, Jul 20, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Spacebat

Spacebat New Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Bury St Edmunds
    Hi

I just returned to biking after a break of 22 years. My new steed is a beautiful 2010 Bonneville SE, completely stock and unmodified. Having done a couple of hundred miles on her this weekend I'm totally in love with my choice of bike, especially when taking it easy on the quiet countryside back lanes of Suffolk where I live in the UK.

But once I get on the dual carriageway and start going over 60mph I really notice the wind hitting me, and I must confess it kind of puts me off riding these faster roads. I know some of that is a confidence thing and that this will return the more I get out there and ride on motorways but..... I cant help wondering if a screen might be a wise purchase?

Please could you tell me about your experiences of riding if you have a screen on your Bonny, and how much of a difference your particular make and model of screen made to the ride? I'd be very intersted to hear what it was like to fit, if you did this yourself, and how long it took.

Cheers,
    Al

• Like Like x 1
  2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi Spacebat,
    Know exactly what you mean - my 2004 Bonnie came with a full height winter screen, which I have to say I removed at once and sold on ebay! Lots of protection but felt it affected the bikes handling when lane changing on motorways.
    Without a screen anything above 65mph is a bit tiresome, but you can get more used to it. However, I fitted the small Dart flyscreen as a compromise - some protection without spoiling the look of the bike. It deflects just enough so you don't get that "pushed back" feeling.
    Really easy to fit - took minutes to be honest and arrived the day after I ordered it. Very well made and comes with very clear instructions. IMG_20140720_150810667.jpg IMG_20140720_150827503.jpg

IMG_20140720_150810667.jpg

IMG_20140720_150827503.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Spacebat

Spacebat New Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Bury St Edmunds
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks for your reply and for the pics of the bike with the Dart flyscreen fitted. The screen looks great on the bike and is also good value for money. I just checked out their website and am seriously considering ordering one of these in the morning! :)

Do you have a luggage or carrier rack on your Bonny Steve? I'm also thinking of getting one of these- just something to bunjie a bag too occasionally, and am wondering how good the aftermarket alternatives to Triumph's own versions actually are. Triumph sure charge a premium for their own branded luggage racks, and I find myself wondering if the likes of Renntec might offer much better value for money? Triumph Bonneville Motorbike Accessories From Renntec

4. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Spacebat

Spacebat New Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Bury St Edmunds
    Thanks again Steve, the rack on your bike looks just the thing- nice looking bike too by the way! :)

6. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Thanks Al - notice the fork gaitors in the fly screen pics - they were a relatively easy addition to make and certainly give the bike an even more retro look.