Bonneville Rear Suspension

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Gert, Feb 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gert

Gert New Member

Feb 14, 2019
    Chile
    Hi,
    First of all I want to say thanks to the Triumph forum for recieving me.

I bought a new Bonneville T100 lasth month, it now has 900km. But i´m finding the rear suspesion to be to hard. I´ve owned other motorcyles, small, dual´s, naked, very different motorcycles. I´ve never improved or bought accesories o new parts for one of my motorcycles to improve riding.

Here´s the deal, I think that the actual shocks perfom good on highway, nothing special, but I´m a slow speed rider. I think that they are ok for perfect tarmac long roads. But in the city, the suspension is too hard. I tried using 2 PSI less in each tire, but there is almost no difference. I weight 75kg. I want to buy new shocks, and i want them to be as soft as possible. I like soft spongy rinding, and I don´t know which shocks I should buy.
    I could use 2 pairs of shocks, cause I always program my highways rides with time. I´ts not a problem at all be changing from shock to shock once in a while. So, using the OEM and some new shocks.

I´ve heard that shocks should wear in too, is this real?

My brother is gonna fly to europe in 2 weeks, so this is the chance to buy shocks, cause I´m from Chile. The streets have a lot of holes and problems. Could you please recommend me very soft shocks for my Bonneville?
    I will appreciate every comment and opinion, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Bonne Phil

Bonne Phil Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Romford, East London
    Although I've never bought after sales shock I can vouch for the service Hagon offer.

I would keep your tyres at the recommended pressure.

Good luck.

Bonne Phil

• Like Like x 4
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Gert
    Welcome to the Family. You do know we will want a picture of your steed soon. Can even take it in the sunshine as the weather over here in Blighty has been good today. Sun even got his hat off. And yes Hagon are the way to go. Even if you have the opportunity to phone them they will build you a shock exactly what you want. And when you do speak to them you can just tell there passion for bikes and performance. Used them for ever and have never been disappointed with the results.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Gert

Gert New Member

Feb 14, 2019
    Chile
    Thank guys! I do have one more question. I do most of my ride in the city, commuting. I have a lot of bumps and potholes, and I ride between 40-50 kph most of the time. I´m still not sure of which shocks do i need for this.

Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    Like they said, talk to someone like Hagon. They will put you right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bonnedeville

bonnedeville New Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Vietnam
    I’m using Fox for rear suspension and it works really nice, especially when cornering

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome, good luck with your search for an improved suspension......
    Wessa

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bonnedeville

bonnedeville New Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Vietnam
    For your reference

IMG_1213.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  10. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    It sounds to me that what you need is air suspension rear shocks. I had some on a Valkyrie I had a few years ago and they were just amazingly comfortable. They were also adjustable so you could adjust ride height, particularly useful on bad roads in towns and cities.

Here is just an example of what I'm talking about :

https://www.strutmasters.com/benefits-of-air-suspension-kits-for-motorcycles/

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    I made a kit up for my Harley road king. Best suspension setup ever for comfort. I used a shock from a comaro.