Bonneville - More Power?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Mr Toad, Jan 24, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    Is anyone on the forum on the list for a new cam for their Bonneville?

A very interesting video about the potential power output of the 900 Bonnevilles and what can be done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Aha!! @Tiglet, I knew it was a bit more than the cans!!!

3. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Hope the CAM is better made than their exhausts are..........................

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    There’s nothing wrong with you cans Crispey

That’s the ones on your Thruccy in case anyone on this forum gets the wrong idea,,,not that anyone would :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I saw the video and told George I'd be interested.

6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    A very interesting insight to Triumph marketing strategy......
    Wessa

7. EssexQuin

EssexQuin New Member

Nov 4, 2017
    Essex
    I have messaged tec. Sounds very interesting, but as George says we might need a six pot stopper on the front wheel.

8. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Interesting to see how they (tec) went about searching for extra power, they clearly know their stuff but I can't help wondering how much they'd charge to do all that work and whether you'd be better off stumping up the extra £1600 (Triumph's web page OTR prices) and buying a T120 :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Servodyne

Servodyne New Member

Jan 29, 2018
    Preston
    I've always thought the power delivery on the T120 was very similar to a diesel. Loads of torque lower down but runs out of steam up the rev range and reluctant to rev out.
    Question is; will this new cam be suitable also for the 1200?

10. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I wouldn’t have thought so, timing, lift, overlap etc will all be different on the bigger engine but a similar design to the 900 might give similar results and bring it up to Thruxton type power, but then again, like my previous post you’d be better off buying a Thruxton in the first place.

11. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Except the Street Twin is the more nimble and agile bike if you wanna hammer the country lane tight twisties. Not that the T120 isn't great fun too, just that the Street twin drives itself round the tight corners.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jerry Winder

Jerry Winder Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Brecon Beacons
    My dealer, (Bevans, Cardiff), has quoted me a maximum of a days labour to fit and set the bike up. I'm on the list for one for my Street Scrambler, who'd say no to another 20bhp? Of course, it does completely invalidate your warranty but the motor is understressed anyway so I'm not envisaging any problems.

• Like Like x 1
  13. EssexQuin

EssexQuin New Member

Nov 4, 2017
    Essex

14. EssexQuin

EssexQuin New Member

Nov 4, 2017
    Essex
    Do you mind me asking what the approximate quoted price is for parts?
    Will be interesting to see all the performance figures once done compared to a stock bike.

15. Jerry Winder

Jerry Winder Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Brecon Beacons
    I haven't got a quoted price from TEC yet but I can't see it being more than a couple of hundred.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Allan StreetTwin

Allan StreetTwin New Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Wiltshire
    I'm on waiting list. I love my little twin, but it runs out of steam around 70mph, and it gets embarrassing when you can't overtake a Ford Fiesta. I had thought of trading in for a T120, but would miss the agility, and life is too short to waste time polishing bloody spokes. So farewell to Triumph guarantee, I'll put my trust in Me Milburn

• Like Like x 1
  17. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Brave man.
    I may be biased........... but I would not put my faith in anything with a TeC logo on.;)
    P.S Why does your 900cc bike only achieve 70mph:confused::confused::confused::confused:;)

"Chillin"

18. Allan StreetTwin

Allan StreetTwin New Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Wiltshire
    Trusty Twin will achieve more than 70mph. But response is sluggish and no help for overtaking on busy-ish roads.
    Can't comment on TeC quality. Have put on their shocks, but due to weather they haven't had a serious run yet. Quality looks OK and they can't be as bad as the rubbish Triumph put on. If it doesn't work out I'll go for Hagons.

19. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Except TEC outsource this to a reputable performance shop in Durham and I am close to a race-bike bike builder who has a trade account with them - so gonna check it out via the manufacturer before committing to anything.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    I had a good chat with George a while back and this Cam is for the smaller motor only as far as I know. The 1200 has a different cam (not saying it couldn’t be improved mind) and in the Thruxton’s case larger valves, higher compression and lighter flywheel than the T120.
    The route I’ve gone and I’ve mentioned elsewhere was to add a booster plug to enrich the mixture, a high performance air filter and De-cat using George’s X pipe plus open Remus cans
    Had a slightly longer test ride today to check out the STS self cancelling indicator system (separate post) and the bike feels much more lively especially at higher revs and sounds sublime
    Total cost for the first 3 items was about £270 not at all bad for the improvement. Open cans well Remus are one of the dearer ones but there's others out there too.