Bonneville Fueling

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by David Bysh, Sep 7, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Bysh

David Bysh New Member

Jul 28, 2021
    Uckfield East Sussex
    Like a number of other forum members, my 2016 Bonneville T1200 suffers from throttle surge and general poor running at low revs - 2000 rpm.
    I fitted a power plug an this made a difference, but the problem still occured.
    Following investigation and checking on other forums, I switched off the traction control. Hey presto, the problem has dissapeared. Only pain is that you have to re-set the TC to off at each start up.
    I will now see how it goes.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Thanks for the tip, I'll try it on my 2018 Speedmaster (same engine). Seems strange if it's traction control causing the jerkiness, being as that's most likely to cause tyres to loose traction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Well found sir.
    Could it be that a sensor is on its way out?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    #4 Notso, Sep 7, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    Where is the speed sensor, might need cleaning especially if near the front sprocket?

Edit: Probably not relevant in this case, apologies

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    #5 brown mouse, Sep 7, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    They're next to the slotted metal rings attached to the side of the wheels, the rings are usually (?) on top of the brake disks. They use magnetism to count the slots as they pass and I doubt very much that dirt would affect them.

Edit: If anyone gets tempted to remove the sensor for cleaning, make sure to take note of where the washer thing goes if there is one. On my bike, the 'washer' is actually a spacer that goes between the sensor and the bike frame, not a washer going between the bolt head and the sensor.

Edit again: I assume the wheel speed sensor is also used for showing road speed of the bike, and ABS operation, so if there was anything wrong with the sensor it seems likely you would get an ECU and/or ABS warning light. (like you do at startup until the wheels have rolled and the ECU knows the sensors work).

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Brown Mouse
    I found out about that one. Luckily it didn't damage the sensor when it was rubbing on the disc.
    Joe.

7. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    I only remembered to try this yesterday. For me, turning off traction control makes no difference to the jerkiness of the throttle response.

• Agree Agree x 1