Bonneville front brake pad replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by steve lovatt, May 6, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Changed the pads on the rear with no problem at all.
    Went to the front and first problem - the little screw cap that has to be removed before you can get to the hex-bolt head on the actual pad pin would not budge.
    Long story short, tried everything to shift it including a 48 hour soak in WD40 but to no avail.
    In the end had to drill it out , but damaged the hex bolt head in the process (didn't have my glasses on and was too eager despite thinking I should stop now!).
    Finally removed both with an extractor after drilling right into the pin itself. Will be using lots of copper grease in reassembly! IMG_20150506_161157572.jpg IMG_20150506_161204482.jpg

2. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Yup, I keep the old coppergrease handy, fed up of stuck bolts especially dissimilar metals. Just done my front pads using it, the caliper bolts themselves were well cruddied up with alloy/steel. Also, lots "good job well done" when yer use right tools and materials eh, I'll try and remember that (and my glasses)

• Like Like x 1
  3. PeteH

PeteH Active Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Chester
    So did you replace the pin with a new item ? Squaredeals are doing stainless ones for the Tiger....

• Like Like x 1
  4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Yes Pete, new pin arrived yesterday along with a few other needed bits, such as a cam cover gasket and some new head to carb rubbers and clamps as the old ones are getting a bit hard. Front brakes are now properly sorted - just need a nice long road test now - and as the sun is shining (sort of) ...