Bonneville Fork Spring And Oil Change

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by TonyG, Apr 12, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Hi,

How difficult is it to do this job? I've got a cheap lift, but it doesn't seem too stable when supported just at the front of the 2 frame rails. I've also go a centre stand that is not fitted, if I put that back on does it lift the front enough or would I need to chock up the centre stand.

Cheers

2. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    put a strap on the lift and round the rails.that should hold it, on the stand it will want to sit on front wheel.

3. Brixton Steve

Brixton Steve Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Devon
    #3 Brixton Steve, Apr 13, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Hi, changed the fork springs and oil on my T120 last year. Hell of a lot easier than I thought, just follow the manual. Don't worry about no centre stand, by the time I had jacked mine up enough the centre stand wasnt touching the ground anyway. The "hardest" bit is taking the front wheel out. It really is that easy, just be careful with the soft metal fork caps or you'll mark them .
    Cheers.

4. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Thanks for the replies.

Wasn't sure if the front or rear wheel was off the ground on the centre stand.

Never thought of strapping the lift to the rails to help keep it steady.

Yes, I'll put a bit of paper or something in the socket on the fork caps.

Cheers

5. Brixton Steve

Brixton Steve Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Devon

6. Brixton Steve

Brixton Steve Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Devon
    I jacked bike towards the front of engine ,so it was front wheel off ground.

7. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Just seems a bit wobbly on the frame tubes towards the front as they are quite close together. I'm probably worrying too much!

8. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    All the above comments are valid, it really is quite a straightforward job. I had my Bonneville on the centre stand and with a jack under the frame rails which lifted the front wheel off the ground by a couple of inches.

One important thing is to loosen the fork caps while the bike is still firmly on the ground, they are tight and easily marked. It is much more difficult with the front wheel u in the air or the forks out of the yokes. I found the best way on my Bonneville was to use an impact gun to just break the seal of the fork caps as the first thing to do.