Bonneville 1980 air filter

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Beefy666, Jun 6, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Beefy666

Beefy666 New Member

Jun 6, 2015
    Shrewsbury Shropshire uk
    im having trouble getting a air filter to fit mu Bonny the measurement at the end of the carb is 58mm
    Can anyone advise me what to do
    Thanks
    Beefy

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Hi Beefy! I'm not trying to fob you off, but if you get hold of a copy of Classic Bike Guide or Classic Bike you will find lots of suppliers of older Triumph bits - more than could be listed here really! Both are, in general, a good source of information anyway, this month's CBG has a feature on the later Bonnevilles which may be of interest to you. :cool:
    My '69 Bonneville had screw on carburettor bell mouths with a mesh filter in the open end to stop the ingress of flapping jeans, birds and small animals! :D
    To whet your appetite try www.suprememotorcycles.co.uk
    www.t8ts.co.uk
    www.triumph-spares.co.uk ...
    ... all of which I've just found in CBG. There will no doubt be others, but these were the first that came to light.
    Hope this helps. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Bell mouths fer me too, although re jetting might be required. look great polished. First thing I did when I got mi 77 Bonnie was ditch ugly side panel and filters and everything to do with 'em. Then you can get 60's side panels, preferably chromed on. Mind yer I'm still puttin' Casrol R in fuel tank, was at Rufforth Autojumble yesterday (only £2 in now, and packed with stallholders) and one guy was selling R in small amounts decanted from large container fer £2 so I'm not the only one :D

Spot on Steve by the way.

• Like Like x 1
  4. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Makes mental note ... Go to Rufforth - soon! :)

Must be north of 20 years since I last graced Rufforth with my presence! :oops:

5. Recycled Rocker

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    1st Saturday of month Steve, I usually leave home 8am and can usually get round before they pack up, then back to Seaways for lunch.

6. camman

camman Member

Jun 7, 2015
    christchurch dorset
    This may draw criticism, but i works for me.
    I run my 80 T140 without air filters, It has 34mm Mikuni carbs fitted which I could not get set up perfectly with filters fitted, and with the side "boxes" a snug fit on intakes, I cant see any low flying aircraft or flies getting in there....at least not during normal road use.
    If I lay the bike up for any length of time, I would plug the inlets to stop the mice moving in.
    Nearly all early bikes, especially BSA, came without air filters, as they like and need, to breathe more freely than modern injected engines.

7. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Sink/bath plugs to block bell mouths when out of use! :cool:

8. camman

camman Member

Jun 7, 2015
    christchurch dorset
  9. Recycled Rocker

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    But of course, however I did once cover them with 2 plastic tea cups when it rained whilst out once. Meant I had to drink 2 teas but life's hard sometimes.

10. camman

camman Member

Jun 7, 2015
    christchurch dorset
    Meant to ask if you have T140V with splayed inlet manifold, or T140E like mine with parallel inlet stubs?
    If you have T140E there is no room for suggested filters without throwing half the bike away, which is why I went for the "no filters" option. I did however, make rubber seals to fit snugly around the Mikuni carbs that i have fitted, so all all air being drawn in is relatively sheltered under the seat.

Recycled Rocker....plastic tea cups, like wire coat hangers, have many uses;)