Bollocks - Did I Buy The Wrong Bike

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Repooh, Aug 24, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    As a spoilt brat I bought my Street Twin before I had passed my test, hence only got to ride it after a few months. Now I love Edna she’s a looker black of course, but today, I was loaned a Street Scrambler whilst Edna was having her 500 mile check up. Oh man Street Scrambler 100% more comfortable, great riding position, super comfy seat, better suspension. As for looks, no where near as pretty as Edna in my opinion.

So kids if you too are a spoilt brat, slow down don’t hand over £8000 before you’ve checked out options, what a tosser.

Looks like a set of Hagons front and back and bar risers are in order, pass the Jack D (see Dilligaf I took your advice, no more red wine)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Mate! There will be something coming out soon that is bigger, better and badder, grasp the now and look forward to the future

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. Hippo-Drones

Hippo-Drones Noble Member

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    nothing wrong with making your current bike work for you mate! Give it a bit of love and spanner and it may well become what you desire!

I did that with my Guzzi, it is 100% mine now and I love it to pieces :)
    19731857_10154633113771820_6150541190353202832_n.jpg

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 5
  4. saxman

saxman New Member

Dec 13, 2014
    Old Leake
    You actualy called a bike Edna? :mad:

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

When it comes to bikes there always seems to be a better one that perhaps you should have bought :confused:
    But the bike you’ve got is the best because it’s yours :)
    You can make it more comfortable :)
    You can make it BLACKER :cool:
    And more importantly you can drink more Jack Daniels :yum
    Or you can get rid and start again :rolleyes:
    Or you can be a proper spoilt brat and have two bikes :p

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Go on, really spoil yourself and have three! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Meow!: unamused:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  8. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    My T120 is called Betty. Nowt wrong with Edna

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i think Edna is a common nickname for the street and speed triples..headlights are like Dame Ednas..hated the look of them when they first came out but i've grown to kinda like mine..but could look so much better IMO

• Like Like x 3
  10. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    Like most other riders, I've spent a small fortune chasing 'my' favorite bike. The problem is that you just can't test ride them long enough at the dealer to know if they will be comfortable for long hauls (seating position, shocks, geometry, vibration, etc.). I loved my last two bikes (2012 America and 2013 Trophy SE) for the unique character that they offered. However, after a couple of hours, both became very painful to ride. I tried to make several modifications and could only extend the comfortable part of the ride by about 50%. The Airhawk seat cushion was the best 'bang for the buck.' Luckily, I was able to get fantastic trade-in deals on each bike and wound up buying a T-Bird Commander (got the T-Bird and cash for trading the Trophy) which is the second most comfortable bike I've ridden over the past 50 years. The best was a '67 Harley police bike with a police solo saddle. It was unbelievably comfortable for long rides, and you didn't even have to touch the bars on the highway if you didn't want to.

I fully agree with "slow down don’t hand over £8000 before you’ve checked out options," but you were probably pretty happy with Edna until you 'cheated' on her. :eek: The same is true about getting rid of a bike with which you've had a long-term relationship. The grass really isn't always be greener on the other side of the hill. The Jack D will help quite a bit, but if you really want to alter and improve your thinking, you have to try lots of very cheap mescal or tequila. :grinning: You'll have a whole new perspective on life after you wake up, the fog lifts from your brain, and you remember that you have a motorcycle and 90% of everyone else doesn't.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Edna’s a fine name

• Like Like x 1
  12. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  13. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    My Doris is great and Tracey is too! Love em both, ride and looks. Never rode a thruxton before buying Doris and only rode a tiger for an hour before buying Tracey. Some people are lucky

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    My bikes have all had blokes names.
    T100 "Hugh" as in Bonneville.
    Trident 900 "Guy" (when ridden home the fork seals went so Guy Fawkes (Forks).
    Tiger 800 "Tommy"
    Bonneville "SEB" as it's an SE Bonneville.
    Honda CX500 thinking of Hiroshima as I feel it might blow up in a spectacular fashion! :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
  15. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sorry peeps I got the four bikes and they all share the same name bike.
    Ride Safe.
    Joe.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Repooh, sorry you are not liking your Street Twin as much as you did on the 1st day. I am still loving mine and just passed 3,400 miles in 9 months of ownership.
    One thing you might look into as far as seat comfort is concerned. The shop where I purchased my bike in California has an upholster technician and they can modify the stock seat by adding gel padding. They tell me that they can remove the outer stock vinyl cover, then cut and fit (redo) the padding to incorporate a separate foam and gel pad layer. Then refit the original outer vinyl cover. When done, the look of the stock seat is unchanged, but much more comfortable as they say. Cost is approx $100 US. The Triumph dealership says they have done the same seat padding upgrade on various bikes with good customer feedback. (But I do not have any direct experience. It is just what I have heard.)
    My opinion is that a bench seat (similar to the T100) with more padding does not look great on the St Twin. Just my opinion.
    Not sure if the local shop in your area can do the same thing but you might look into it.
    Good luck w/ Edna.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    I’ve had a long talk with Edna, told her it’s me not her. We made up on a couple of long twisty rides and agreed we’ll seek counselling at Hagon to smooth out any bumpy roads ahead

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    My bike is called bike.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    I had a girlfriend once who people called bike, thought it was cute until I learnt the reasons behind the name, ahh the innocence of youth, mind you see went 0-60 in under 3 seconds

• Funny Funny x 4
  20. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Advice please - two part question -

Part (1) I’m told some Hagon 2810 rear shocks will improve my ride, however, some have said in vids I’ve watched they will make the pot hole slow ride worse than stock but the cornering and high speed better. It’s the fing shitty road surface and my 17.5 stone (240 lbs for the colonials) fat arse that makes the ride painful so it’s the slow ride comfort I’m after (slightly better now I’m on position 4 of the stock shock adjustment) any lard arses with Hagons care to comment.

Part (2) I’m told that if I go with the rear shocks I will get a better result if I also install the Hagon front springs, now as a non tinkerer this gives me the willy, as you need to drain the oil, take off bits etc, is this a job an idiot can do or am I best getting a non-idiot to do it