Bollocks Did I Buy The Wrong Bike - Update

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Repooh, Oct 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Update to my whining of a few weeks ago.

Now the answer is no

A set of bar risers, can't believe 7/8 make so much difference a set of Hagon 2810's and some Continental Road Attack 3's and my Street Twin is a beauty.

Riding position way better, ride smoother, corners like a demon and just feels more planted, all for a mere £450, best money spent thus far, and it's been quite a bit.

All I need is a sunny day, oh wait, arse.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

It's such a shame when the OE tyres are shite. Unfortunately it doesn't put you off buying a bike. At least Triumph put decent Avon Cobra's on their (I use the term loosely) cruisers.

Glad you got it sorted tho' pal, not good when your not happy with a new bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    First upgrade I'd always recommend is shocks, then anything but Phantom tyres when due for a change. Don't know about the Conti's but Avon 3D transformed the ride on my Street Twin.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Repooh.
    Great news. Glad you are sorted. We will all be waiting on some pic's now. I agree with all these comments. Hagon and Avon's are mostly a great answer to handling and performance.
    Ride Safe
    Joe

5. Tony Richardson

Tony Richardson Active Member

Sep 15, 2018
    Norwich
    Has anyone fitted progressive fork springs to their ST, if so, did it improve the ride?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    I spec'd the Fox RSU for mine, although in hindsight I could probably have looked further afield for less money.

What's the deal with the OE tyres, as I've not noticed anything amiss in the first 100 miles I've clocked up?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    I had not planned on changing tyres, but, suffered a puncture after just a hundred miles, could not be repaired. Tyre dealer refused to fit Phantoms and recommended Conti's or Avon. Went for the Contis and immediately noticed better cornering. The stock Phantoms are square/flattish, the Conti's are more pointy (technical description) making the ST turn in better. Don't understand the physics just know I wont fit stock tyres again. Ironically I suffered a second puncture 200 miles after fitting Conti's, repaired but now have a very slow puncture so will change when I wake up Edna in the Spring. Many riders like the stock tyres and have zero issues. You like me are a new rider and the new rubber gave me more confidence, I'm sure some if that was the placebo effect

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Tony Richardson
    Yes I fitted Hagon front and back when I had my sprints. They certainly did make a difference. Fork dive and return was more controlled and the bike felt planted to the road. Even in corners you could feel the front and back reline the bike. Learningtofly like most things on a standard bike the makers choose the cheapest route on tyres shocks and various bits. This together with riding styles doesn't work for all riders so sometimes when you change the bits to suit your style of riding and dimensions it makes the bike feel right for you. But 100 miles is nothing and if the tyres stay good don't worry but if you can feel a difference in you cornering and stability then most probably its your tyres going of or squaring centrally or even going hard.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    The Phantoms tend to track white lines, banding and cracks in the road surface, exaggerated by the bike's short wheel base. You'll definitely notice it when you wear them down a tad. Replacement Phantoms are over priced imo and can be improved upon, certainly by the Avon Storms which I use, and by the Contis by all accounts.

Cambrian Tyres say 'Unlike the original equipment Pirelli, the Avon features the latest radial technology on both front and rear in the above sizes, which should bring about additional handling and performance benefits.' (probably copied from the Avon marketing blurb).

• Like Like x 1
  10. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Thanks guys.

Ah, yes - I've already noticed that on some poorly completed road repairs near home. Interesting.