Bobber Or Not

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Repooh, Aug 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Bobber

So Bobber owners tell me is the ride as shite as I read. Consensus seems to be it's a spine killer on our shitty English roads, pot holes bad surfaces etc, please be honest I know you've dropped £10,000+ so no purchase justification BS

As a fatty will I regret anything other than a short local bimble. To add some context: I have a Street Twin which is great other than the fast "A" road long haul ( 70mph for 150+ miles) which screw my knackered body for three days.

I know a Tiger is the right bike but its anonymous and I love the Bonnevilles, particularly the Bobber(s)

I'm a firm believer in the notion that if your bike doesn't give you a boner when you look at it its the wrong bike.

Second question; Bobber or Bobber Black - WHY

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

1200 Speedmaster :cool:
    It’s the same as a Bobber Black but with pillion and carrying options at the back :)
    I travel two up and pull a trailer to rallies upto2-3hrs away always very comfortable and handles a lot better than I was expecting :)
    If you don’t like the forward foot rests you can easily put mid mount rests on :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    As Dilli says, love my Speedmaster 1200. The Bobber rear shock is not adjustable, but Speed has 7 settings and I ride at 3 110kg.
    Still getting a boner

6B423ADB-153F-443E-AC9E-6C1E9572D9D9.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    And you can go for the straight handlebars from the Bobber if you want (I did).

As to comfort of the Speedmaster. I'd done over 10,000 miles in the first year, mostly on the quiet 'B' and unclassified roads, also a tour of Scottish highlands. I've found it comfortable enough to ride for 5 or 6 hours a day. If you hit a really big pothole or step at a cattle grid when doing high speed, then the suspension will bottom out sending a painful jolt though your spine. It's a very rare day when that happens to me.

I weigh over 100kg so have the preload on the rear shock set to 4 out of 7 (The Bobber doesn't have any adjust adjustment). I also went for the 'comfort' seat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    #4 MadMrB, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    I loved my Bobber, and was prepared to forgive it the occasional jolt (I'm just over 80kg), as overall I was really impressed with the handling. However I would not have wanted to do a really long run on it, mainly due to the small fuel tank and having to fill up every 80 miles or so.

Edit: Here's a picture, just because they're handsome beasts IMO ;)

IMG_20181117_133209262_HDR.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Thanks chaps

7. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Dartpalyer said "Still getting a boner"

I hope to god those car stains are not as a result of Dartpalyers Boner,

• Funny Funny x 6
  8. Johnno001

Johnno001 New Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Leighton Buzzard
    I tried the Bobber before buying my T120 - plus a mate of mine also mentioned this was why he sold his Bobber - it is a back breaker particularly on British Roads - its a shame the ride is so bad through the seat, from my experience its a great looking and smooth bike to ride - plus side I suppose is there are loads at cheap prices on second hand market - if only the seat and suspension could be sorted

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Dallenbaugh

Dallenbaugh Active Member

Jan 5, 2019
    Santa Cruz , CA
    I'm 2,050 miles into my trip with my Speedmaster and having no problems with comfort. I have the Corbin solo seat with a back rest and added a seat air cushion pad as I am riding in some hot weather. I have another 800 miles to go and typically go 250 to 350 miles a day, got to see the along the way.

Dave

0831191008a_HDR.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Nice set up

• Agree Agree x 1