Bluetooth Ear Buds

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by crispey, Apr 18, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Has any body used these under their crash helmet, how did they feel/work and which ones?

2. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Good call Crispey, my stock of ear plugs is diminishing and looking for something to replace them.
    Just searched this on Amazon and came up with this for £50
    Amazon LEZII Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds Noise Cancelling
    [​IMG]

If they are noise cancelling, would this be effective enough to soften the noise like a foam ear plug?

3. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    My worry is that they will be bulkier than wired earplugs so might be uncomfortable worn inside the crash helmet, and noise cancelling should work up to a point, I’d be surprised if it was total

4. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Just been looking at others on Amazon and there have a holder that fits behind the ear.
    As you say, I don't see how these can cancel out the level of noise we need

[​IMG]

5. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    Noise cancelling work well with constant sound, in particular aircraft engines.

They don't work as many people hope with everyday sounds that constantly change as by the time they've analysed the sound to counter it the sound has changed, they simply can't keep up.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I thought of trying these but thought that they may be too bulky as crispey says. Tried some cheap ones off ebay and guess what? They were too bulky! :D:D

7. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I understand Ultimate Ear are the bees knees when it comes to biker communication
    But you pay through the nose...and not wireless

https://www.ultimateear.com/

upload_2018-4-18_11-22-51.png

8. trudd

trudd Member

Oct 13, 2014
    I have some from ultimate ear and they are great. They fit well and are comfortable enough to wear all day whereas I used to find foam plugs painful after an hour or so no matter which type/brand.

Some things to note though:
    The squidgys but don't block out as much noise as a set of foam plugs.

The wire on the soundears seems a bit delicate so I'm very careful with mine. I have had them for 7 years now so they can't be that bad. Nb: I only use them on longer trips.

The sound channel/tunnel in the soundears is quite small so could get blocked easily.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    The other thing of course is s Bluetooth adapter that you can plug your earphones into, I have ultimate ear earphones and they are good, really comfy and block out a lot of noise, so an adapter box could be the way to go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    I've just got some custom ear plugs made with the filter in, can still hear the intercom at 70mph which is good. Cuts out alot of wind noise.

But hurts on one side so needs to be shaved down a bit, as Littleade said it also depends on the helmet.

11. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Are they Bluetooth?

12. trudd

trudd Member

Oct 13, 2014
    I got a Sena BT10 to use as a bluetooth adaptor. I haven't used it yet so unfortunately can't pass comment or review but I'm hoping I can just put it in my pocket and not be wired to the bike.
    https://www.sena.com/product/bluetoothmicintercom/#overview

13. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    No they are the standard filter ear plugs customguards do. The intercom is a speaker on either side of my helmet

14. Stimple

Stimple Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Thanks guys. I have been pondering which way to go with this myself. Your advice has been invaluable but I am even more confused now than I was.
    Personally I find a good pair of foam plugs to be the best to cut down wind noise so will probably look for a pair of wired with a bluetooth adapter. Any one know if these are washable though?

15. dearnla

dearnla New Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Coventry, UK
  16. Nobsta

Nobsta New Member

Sep 6, 2016
    Bromley
    • Like Like x 1
  17. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    If you remember my original thought was on bluetooth earbuds that would fit under the helmet thus letting me use my phone as a satnav on my thruxton, and not having loads of wires flapping around as I was using my expensive cabled uiltimateear earphones that also block out wind noise etc. Anyhow the thought of spending loads on BT earbuds, that would probably not block out the wind noise etc, when i have a perfectly good set of earphones got me onto bluetooth adapters/receivers which got me onto the tintrnet and found this, i got it as its a bluetooth transmitter as well as a receiver reckoning the transmit part could also be useful.
    It works really well, I've used it on the bike with my phone as satnav, used in the gym with my phone listening to music and on the ipad when watching films. There doesnt seem to be any difference in sound compared to my hardwired phones and I can go downstairs without any breakup.
    So there you go, I havent tried any of the receive only ones that are a bit cheaper but as I said I thought the TX would come in handy at some point.
    The translated instructions are interesting but its dead simple to operate
    IMG_4065.JPG
    USB charging takes less than 2 hours and Ive used it for about 5 hours so far
    3.5 jack for headphones or there is a male to male to plug into wireless speaker
    or if in TX can send sound from any device with 3.5 jack to BT headphones

IMG_4066.JPG
    Transmit or receive, could be handy

IMG_4067.JPG
    It does not connect to Tomtom or playstation bluetooth wise

18. trudd

trudd Member

Oct 13, 2014