Blue Exhaust?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Andy-K2, Jun 7, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Knowledge is power for which I have neither!

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    Guys and of course dolls.

When I was a lad my father told me a blue exhaust (near to the engine) was a sign of the bike being hammered or at least miss-treated.... Is this true? Or am I remembering something from someone who just thought he knew this to be true?

Your help would be appreciated very shortly as I will be buying a bike first thing tomorrow.

Cheers Guys and Dolls
    Andy

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #2 Sprinter, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Blueing means heat I think. ( that where your dad gets "thrashed")Thats all. if they are all blueing equally not necessarily a problem some of the mods that are being done, removal of secondary air systems can cause a ricer run and so a cooler run which may prevent this . Not realy a problem or even neccasserly a sign or symptom of one either

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    #3 MickEng, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    It was always associated with the engine running a little rich (ie. too much petrol) and also a bike that was driven hard.
    All the new Bonnies I have seen have the blueing which is caused in the main by the secondary air injection (SAI) so I am told.
    The SAI sends any unburnt fuel back into the engine driven more by environmental guidelines than engine efficiency.

Running rich is not a good thing, it is a waste of fuel and can adversely affect an engine by 'cleaning' essential oil lubrication from moving parts. (bit like running with your choke out)
    Fuel injection when correctly set should not allow a 'rich' mixture.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    Cheers guys, appreciate all of your time in replying... Will let you all have the news in the morning of my new toy if things work out as well as I think they will.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    And pictures, must have pictures

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Mines Blued also m8 air injection system removed as you know and aftermarket pipes it was alot bluer before the injection removal think the air thingy is to do with emissions polluting the atmosphere cracking up the ozone layer saving badgers ect ect so im running slightly richer now blueing seems to have sort of cleared itself up not totally tho tbh I aint ever seen a bonny with perfect chrome headers theyre all blue.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    SAI makes the bike run weak and hotter causing the blueing which is a right w@nker to remove:mad: I know because I'm in the middle of removing the blueing from the Bonne:p:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    How you doing that Rocker? Be interested as I'm quite handy with that Solvol Autosol :)

9. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
  10. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    What do you want to remove it for Rocker ?
    Quite like it myself, plus it reminds me not to touch the pipes when they are hot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    I polished it off with some auto solvol it looked amazing 100 miles later it was blue again so i left it looks kind of cool

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    It's the yellow pineapple chunks you've got to watch out for.

• Funny Funny x 5
  14. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Wasn't blueing on the exhausts largely dependent on whether it had double skinned header pipes or not?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Haha couldnt resist sending this

IMG_5188.JPG

• Funny Funny x 6
  16. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    I do like blued pipes but the bonne pipes are a horrible dark blue /brown colour all the way to the bottom unnatural caused by the SAI gonna shine them up and blue a bit hopefully

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Andy you could always go for the Header Wrap Tape racing look on they front pipes

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    Like you Rudeboy, I too spent many a hour cleaning that blue off the exhaust with Blue-job, only for it to return less than a 100 miles later....bugger... since removing the SAI & Sensors due to a tune up by TTP (Triumph Twin Power) they blue less, but I think its a little late to return em to original chrome.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    Cheers Nick, I hate that look. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Wrapping exhausts is a big "fashion" Hipster thing at the moment - it is for a certain look only.
    The tape looks crap after getting soaked and mud spattered so no good for a working bike - more a custom show thing.
    It originated in NASCAR racing as a way of keeping the headers cool in a cramped engine bay full of V8! No need for it on an air cooled bike.
    I briefly wrapped the high level pipe when I had the Enfield Trials bike to stop burning my leg but when I removed it after a couple of months it had imprinted the weave pattern into the exhaust, which could not be removed!

• Useful Useful x 2