Bloody Speed Traps!!!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Tricky-Dicky, Nov 6, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Think i might have got caught just went to collect the wife from her walk 2 miles down the road which is a B road and just coming into the 40 limit so slowing down to that form about 48-50 from the national speed limit and what do i spot a high viz jacket placed in such a way as to catch out everyone as they are slowing no other motive but revenue generation as nearly everyone is in the process of slowing down rather than actually hitting the limit as they pass through the sign!

So i turned around and went back and took pics of the positioning and the signs and should i get
    a letter through i will be contesting it on the grounds that it was entrapment due to the positioning.
    Bastids!:mad:
    And the fact that they are doing it on the second day of lock-down is even more nasty and sneaky when people can least afford it.

• Agree Agree x 15
  2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    No doubt that most of these mobile cameras are located in an area where they know motorists are likely to exceed the speed limit, for whatever reason, and are nothing to do with road safety.
    Problem, if you are summoned, is that you were exceeding the speed limit and therefore, you will get the points and the fine. Position of plod and camera is irrelevant I'm afraid. Not exactly entrapment - that would involve them hiding the sign! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    We have these shithouses up my way, a normal car with a fleecing bellend that looks like they're surveying.

Screenshot_20201106-184508.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Park a caravan in front of it!!

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Unreal dd mate, says police staff on the back of a the bib with no other indication :mad: and only notice when you've passed :pensive::mad:

• Like Like x 1
  6. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Thursday night about 1945 drove past a Leicestershire Police camera van secreted on a verge unlit area on the outskirts of Ibstock, 30mph limit, I was doing 35mph, the van was near invisible, first night of lockdown, good work lads, keep it up.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    We have loads of revenue cameras around in our area. I've never been done by one yet, but its only a matter of time I guess. :confused: I came home from my daughters on the VFR last week in the dark and just like DD, I was that busy checking my speedo and watching for them in their 'usual' haunts that it detracted from my concentration on riding itself. I fecking hate the things.

Come the revolution they will all be driven to the nearest quarry and blown up together with Henry Cole, Jeremy Vine and any other tosser who happens to upset me on the day! Lol. ;)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    The most annoying thing about the positioning is that the sign is easily missed as there are trees at the side of the road and the road bends just slightly just after the sign and it not until you get just past the sign and slight bend which has a house on the band side that you get a clear view of the road ahead ...and there is Mr money generator taking you pic if you haven't slowed quite enough!:mad:

This is Mr sneaky bastid and his view up the road and you can just see the sign that says it goes to national speed limit.

The last is the vew you get going the other direction .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. johne

Jan 16, 2020
    If that was my farm I'll pull a tractor out on the verge in front of him and leave it there 'til he departed. :p

• Like Like x 2
  10. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    i got caught speeding last year got 6 points all in one go i was enjoying myself far to much on a fireblade on the A35 in dorset.soon as you get caught your angry and try and think of any excuse to get out of it. but speeding is speeding i dont think there is any defence just except it. coming up with excuses like intrapment and trying to contest it in court is just a complete waste of your time and money.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Down south you at least get the option of attending a speed awareness course, up here in jockland that is not an option

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Just pisses me off how sneaky they are it fairly obvious that it nothing but revenue generation, i have been done for speeding just twice in my life and considering the time i have been riding bikes and the fast Japanese cars i think thats pretty good ...the first was a speed camera placed on the entrance to a dual carriageway that has got a 40mph limit.....posted 300yds from the crossroads and traffic lights and the camera 100ft from the traffic lights so you have to be clairvoyant...took an awareness course for that 10 years ago.

And the second about five years ago also on a DC and overtaking a lory and got done for 73 and a 70!:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. johne

Jan 16, 2020

That's what annoys me about them too mate. If they were positioned close to a school or a shopping area where pedestrians are crossing the road I could understand it, but certainly in my experience they are (as has been said) positioned just inside a 40 or 30 limit where you are already slowing down, but perhaps not quick enough.:( Certainly the cameras I've seen on 60 and 70 mph roads are just in spots where they know its an easy 'pull'. I've mentioned it before on here, but a favourite site in my local area is halfway up a hill where traffic can pass slower vehicles using a crawler lane. The crawler lane itself isn't that long, so you have to get a move on to pass a lorry or caravan heading up the hill and (surprise suprise) chummy in his camera van is there to nab you should you drift above 60 whilst doing so.:mad:

• Like Like x 1
  14. johne

Jan 16, 2020
    There was a case here (North Yorkshire) a couple of years back where a guy had a jamming device in the front bumper of his car. He used it to avoid a ticket on the A64 but they got his reg number and he was paid a home visit by the local uniform plod who confiscated the device and gave him a summons. He got done, not just for the speeding offence, but also for the evasion, which cost him a couple of grand as I recall.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Johne
    You are right about what you say about that case in North Yorkshire, apart from the confiscation of the jammer. I recall this case (no I'm not a Police Officer) as I was present in Court, he was driving a Subaru Impreza, wait for it at 120 miles per hour in a 60, the device jammed the speed detection equipment, the Police estimated his speed (a complex procedure) at the 120, he admitted in private to doing in excess of that speed, he had been warned previously about switching the device on, however he was not prosecuted the first time, he was given a warning on that occasion (any warning or caution etc is entered onto the PNC, it shows up on a persons pre cons. It is perfectly legal to buy and fit such devices, but illegal to use them to avoid detection (turning the device on). The jamming unit was not confiscated and destroyed. The company selling the device allegedly say that's the only case involving prosecution of a person using their units, it's basically the same frequency as the ones used in electronic door openings (garage doors etc). To make matters worse he did not receive a custodial sentence, nor a community based order, good job it wasn't a motorcyclist (straight to custody no doubt). His fine was hefty along with costs, VS and his legal fees OUCH. On a happier note if you download the app Waze (it's free and alerts you in real time of any Police cameras etc), it also alerts you to accidents and obstructions to enable you to use alternative routes to avoid jams, it works by users putting in any hazard they see to warn you what's ahead, its brilliant just try it and see for yourself, I was told about the app some time back by a taxi driver who used it all the time. Safe riding all and hope the lenthy reply didn't bore you senseless.

• Like Like x 11
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. johne

Jan 16, 2020
    #16 johne, Nov 8, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    Very interesting stuff Iceman. Your reply wasn't lengthy, but very interesting, as you suggested if the guy was doing that kinda speed I guess he deserved everything he got. I've downloaded that app too. Cheers. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Are most of the posts from car driving as I assume on a bike we’ve the advantage of no front plates so we can’t get ticketed ... If it’s cameras to catch your back plate you may have a bit of a chance to slap your anchors on as you pass ... or are traps these days more sophisticated than I’m assuming ??

18. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    Back when I was a LEO “running traffic” meant make yourself as visible as possible -deterrence was the purpose.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    Thankfully not having a front number plate means if we spot them in time and there’s a left hand turn prior to where the camera van is parked up, then taking that turning means a greatly reduced chance of being penalised for a temporary lapse in concentration

• Like Like x 1