Black & White Plates

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MARKYMARKTHREE, Dec 13, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MARKYMARKTHREE

MARKYMARKTHREE Senior Member

Feb 11, 2020
    SOMERSET
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
  3. MARKYMARKTHREE

Feb 11, 2020
    SOMERSET
    I think this is different to the std yearly change.
    Also that orrible EU star sign wont be allowed on new vehicle plates after 1st Jan. :joy:

From a car club.
    The DVLA have announced changes concerning information on black and silver number plates which will take effect from 1 January 2021.

The changes being introduced on 1 January 2021 will affect the ability of vehicles registered in the historic tax class to display the old style pre-1973 black and silver number plates.

Following the change in definition of a historic vehicle for vehicle tax exemption purposes in 2015, an issue was identified in the regulatory requirements for the valid display of a black and silver number plate. This resulted in an unintended consequence where any vehicle over 40 years old and registered in the historic tax class would be permitted to display an old style black and silver number plate. This was despite the law previously requiring all vehicles first registered after 1 January 1973 to only display the yellow and white number plates with black characters.

As this was never the intention, DVLA have sought to rectify this through a legal correction which will shortly be implemented. The change seeks to prevent any vehicle constructed after 1 January 1980 from the ability to display the black and silver number plate despite being recorded in the DVLA’s historic tax class. Those vehicles with a construction date prior to 1 January 1980 will continue to be able to legally display black and silver number plates to avoid any undue costs of replacement.

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Seems sensible enough. I guess unless you are running a historic vehicle no change for the rest of us....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MARKYMARKTHREE

Feb 11, 2020
    SOMERSET
  6. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Glad the government concentrate on this serious issue ffs haven't they got enough shit going on absolute small minded wankers the lot of them wheres the public interest or safety in this :mad::mad:

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. MARKYMARKTHREE

Feb 11, 2020
    SOMERSET
    Facking mind-blowing, looks like said MP proposing this krap has a hard on for bikers. :worried:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steve 998cc

Steve 998cc Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2019
    leicestershire
    No excuse for small/illegal mumber plates if you've nothing to hide why? .

9. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Nazi

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    #10 Wessa, Dec 13, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    Be interesting know how many among us are currently running with a small number plate on their bike(s) or a non standard one on their car. If you do have a small plate what reason do you have for using it?
    I have standard ones on all my bikes and my car. On my car I have a private plate that I could amend to be more meaningful, but I have always resisted doing so.

11. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    its got nothing to do with hiding anything

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    All mine are std when last looked! :):):):):):):):):)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Not dead

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Mr Wonderful

Mr Wonderful New Member

Nov 7, 2020
    Oxfordshire
    As this notice is dated Dec 2020, it seems the eligibility will remain at vehicles manufactured before 1/1/1980 and not carry forward with the rolling 40 year Historic Vehicle classification.

• Like Like x 2
  15. garethr

garethr Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    The rolling date for non-reflective plates never made sense anyway, because they became illegal in 1973 (IIRC).

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I could never understand that too.
    I think it should be compulsory that if you have modified your vehicle to have black and silver plates then you should have everything else that went with it for that period like crossply tyres, four speed gearboxes, dynamos and every modern luxury removed. Oh and yes I’m being pedantic :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1