Bit Of Progress On The Trident

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Thorcusmodee, Jun 9, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Thorcusmodee

Thorcusmodee Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Boston, Lincs
    As some of you may have read I acquired parts of a couple of 900's in boxes the other day. I thought I would have a proper look today to see what I can make out of what I have - the answer is - not a complete bike :) Oh well. Bit shocked at how few rear brake calipers for early Tridents / Sprints are available and even more shocked at the price of them! Anyways found one at a half reasonable price and bought it. I hooked up the wiring loom, put plug to socket, pressed the starter button and got nothing. Then realised the clutch switch wasn't connected - put that right and she turned over and produced a healthy spark on all 3. The lights come on and go off, only have 1 indicator to test so that will have to wait, the horn works, the panel lights work, was pleased to see the oil pressure light go off soon after cranking commenced. I have a fairing for it but I'm not overly keen on it, it may look better when I have a tank for it - that's on order as well. I was going to convert it back to the naked version with round headlight but I understand they are like hen's teeth too. I am missing tons of bits that I need eg rear caliper stay arm, rear mudguard, footrest - rider right side, my front brake light switch is kaput, battery loads of bolts and bits and bobs but it all looks doable. Will put some juice in it tomorrow and see if it sparks up, photos to follow.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Thorcusmodee

Thorcusmodee Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Boston, Lincs
    You are correct, I just want the bike to work and to look decent, it's not going to be a count the rivets sort f job. I didn't know there was a projects section, will find my way over there.

3. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    If youre looking for a std-ish headlight see if you can find one of an xj650 or rd 250/350 lc, I think they were 8" but will fit easily and one of the best for light output I have seen to date with a std 55/60 halogen bulb.

Be careful not to turn it over if the battery is low as it'll eat the starter clutch ( sprag clutch )

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1