Bit Of Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by joe mc donald, Jun 8, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Converting this Bonneville back to a OEM air box. But can anyone tell me what goes into this hole here just above the right clutch side carb.

thumbnail (1) 08.jpg

2. MightyBoosh

MightyBoosh Member

Mar 29, 2023
    Uk
    Pure guess but would it be some kind of breather or recirculation hose? What year bike is it? I could look in my Haynes manual but not for a few days as I'm on holiday in Scotland. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    #3 Scoot65, Jun 12, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
    Is it not the feed pipe hole from the airbox for the air injection system?
    Looking at this video particularly from the 15.56 time point:-

Technical info: "The secondary air injection system (AIS) routes fresh air from the airbox to the exhaust system in order to aid the combustion of unburned fuel in the exhaust."

I did the same work on my Speedmaster (2005), removing the air injection system. I've still got the complete air injection system sitting in a box in my garage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Joe hope you are keeping well, it is for a secondary air induction that controls fuel that remains in the exhaust, without this you can get flames out of the rear exhaust due to ignition from any unburned fuel particles, exactly like you see on say the BSB race bikes, it may look spectacular but in reality it causes more issues on road going machines. Ride safe all from an ageing Rocker.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Thanks everyone. Now i have installed an air box and had the CR Carbs fully rebuilt by Allens performance But the bike is still running super rich. Again it is a 790 air cooled Bonnie with CR Carbs. Anyone got any ideas what to try next. It starts and runs sweet till the plugs soot up. Any suggestions welcome.
    Joe

6. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Iceman. Yes good and hope this finds you similar.
    Joe

• Like Like x 2
  7. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Scoot65. Yes that explained it all.
    Joe

• Like Like x 1