Bit Of Advice Needed.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by joe mc donald, Nov 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Anyone ever balanced the carbs on a honda cb500. I cannot for the life of me see any attachments for the carb tune. Did look on YouTube someone using water in plastic tubes but no help atall. The honda is a 97 model.
    Regards
    Joe.

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Don't know if it helps, Joe, but when I were a lad and carbs had throttle slides and bugger all air filtration, we would use lollipop sticks or long matches balanced under the slides, and then watched as the throttle was slowly opened to see which stick moved first and then the carbs could be adjusted as necessary. Because of where the fulcrum of the stick was in the intake, a very little movement of the slide would produce a much bigger effect on the other end of the stick, so it was pretty accurate.:)
    Fuel/air mixture was another problem entirely.:confused:

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Are you talking throttle stops or just the cable opening Joe?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Vacuum ports should be on the inlet manifold not carbs themselves. You can make your own manometer with plastic tube but use light oil rather than water for a more stable signal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Try to answer the lot here at once. No screws atall on this bike. And i just want to get both carbs equaled. The right side cylinder seems to stammer under three thousand revs or does not pick up. The bike rides but is a bit scary till both cylinder are operating.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    Joe, I suggest you have a look at the CB500 site here
    http://cb500.forumotion.com/forum
    Very helpful people even though the search function on the site isn't very good.
    The watercooled CB500 - great wee bike by the way. I've had mine for years.

7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Flay and peeps thanks for the advice. I have actually joined the honda 500 forum. Yes quite helpful peeps. You know those little 500's seem to be quite robust and hardy. I will tell you more after winter.
    Regards & Thanks.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1