Featured Biker Down ….. But Not Out

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by RetTh'ead, May 16, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RetTh'ead

RetTh'ead Well-Known Member

May 16, 2021
    Southern Scotland
    I will be up front I have only recently registered on this forum but I have read the content for many years But I am after a favour from the good people of this forum

I consider myself very lucky for two reasons:

ONE I call myself a biker who KNOWS what it is like to have that childish primeval giggle inside your helmet from outrageous acceleration, FEELS that pleasure from every one of your senses when you get a series of bends just right, SEES other bikers out and about and identifies with that vibrant multitude, REMEMBERS the sensations of a really good road ride long after the engine has finished its mechanical cooling groans in the shed.

TWO I suppose like many on here I have a great biking mate. We have very little in common he is very tall me very short, he’s from Lancashire me from Yorkshire, he is practical and a perfectionist me just an academic, he is laconic and introvert me verbose. BUT we share an absolute passion for sports bikes and my mate B is the utterly reliable and genuine buddy you want when things go awry. Together we have ridden the twisty roads of North West England usually making “brisk progress” for nigh on 30 years. Him mostly on his trusty green 04 ZX10R me chasing on a variety of T595, Daytona675 Fireblade, SP2, R1200S, K1300S, 1000RR I could never match his fluent speed and once he got a clear road …….we would meet up a few miles later and with a quick Hi beam flash we were off again. The 100+mile rides were often none stop and squeezed into weekends between shifts and family commitments and always disseminated on the phone a night or two later.

I retired 6 years ago to Southern Scotland and the plan was for us to swap weekend dashes for some midweek leisurely romps on quiet sunny roads midway between his Lancashire and my Galloway home.

Then it all got ripped asunder 5 years ago my mate B got a really aggressive form of cancer he fought it hard like riding a twitching ZX10R on a bumpy B road with gravel on the bends for good measure. For 18 months he suffered unwholesome chemo and profane Radio therapy understandably it knocked the shit out of him but he recovered slowly. Then when he was on the mend riding his beloved 10R the Gods of unfair threw another spanner his way he was hit by a van on a bend the bike was smashed beyond repair and the rider with smashed up ribs shoulder and leg. Out of respect to his family he decided to stop biking but we still spoke regularly on the phone about times past and that sports bike passion still surfaced from time when I told him about rides on my Thruxton R. Well the Unfair Gods have singled him out again with a repeat diagnosis of Cancer and a further three months of Chemo to look forward to.

What I am asking is that if you ride the roads around Devils Bridge, Settle to Ribblehead, Hawes to Sedbergh or through the Trough of Bowland or in fact anywhere at all!! Please take a moment to grab a photo and stick it on here so when he is taking the latest treatment he can see some of his favourite roads and know that there is some solidarity for a biker down but not out!

Cheers

• Like Like x 20
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Just like to say - your mate has a great friend in you.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Schuey

Schuey Senior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Midlands
    I hope your friend starts to feel better soon and I bet he's grateful to have a friend like you.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

#4 Cyborgbot, May 16, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2021
    I haven’t even finished reading your well crafted introduction but am totally stunned that even with the harmonising power of motorcycling that you have achieved to undo what the War of the Roses and subsequent escalation of hostilities between two adversaries that even Benjamin Netanyahu would exclaim ‘well done’! - and will probably be giving you a call later for tips and advice…

A Lancastrian and a Yorkshireman being friends - who would have thought it possible.

Perhaps you can also arbitrate between current and former members of this forum…

ok, I’ll keep reading now…

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

#5 Cyborgbot, May 16, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2021
    Having finished the story. “Biker Down” sounds like an amazing friend, albeit very, very unlucky. Great you could forgive him for being born in the wrong county. What a fool. He should have known better!

I live nowhere near you but will try to take a picture of something interesting of a boring bike in a pretty place.

It won’t be this week as the weather is totally shit.

Our Scottish correspondent @Dave49 will be sure to chip in with a supportive comment. I’m sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. pistonbroke

pistonbroke Senior Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Lancashire
    That’s one hell of an intro brother!
    I’m around those areas from time to time so I’ll post a picture next I’m back in the motherland.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    What a heart reaching story…. My thoughts go out to your mate at his difficult time..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Here you go @RetTh'ead
    Some snaps from a run tonight. Down to Lancaster then over to Devils Bridge. A brew at the Swan at Middleton then home. Gorgeous night for it.
    Hope it cheers your mate up a bit :grinning:

IMG_20210519_200143497_HDR_compress2.jpg IMG_20210519_204005199_HDR_compress47.jpg IMG_20210519_194641522_HDR_compress55.jpg IMG_20210519_193613440_HDR_compress97.jpg IMG_20210519_194639699_compress69.jpg

• Like Like x 7
    • Love You Love You x 1
  9. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Great shots Dawsy:sun:, cheered me up :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  10. RetTh'ead

RetTh'ead Well-Known Member

May 16, 2021
    Southern Scotland
    Many thanks to everyone that gave up their time and replied to my post.
    I had a good chat over the weekend with B he was really upbeat despite a number of very uncomfortable biopsy procedures earlier in the week. He was still taking the p*ss out of my Yorkshire roots! I will let him that victory for the time being!!
    He started his first Chemo session on Monday
    Cheers

• Like Like x 5
  11. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    So sorry I am late with the photo. But this one is for you what a great friend you are. God Bless your mate and may he rest in peace. 1295x4a8713sm (2).jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. EJB

EJB New Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Not the praying type so can't help theer, but sending all the well wishes I can. I have a great friend who's cousin is going through the same. Mid 40's, great guy who I know well and they just keep taking more out of him to beat it.

Posts like this highlight why I (and I suspect most of us) ride. There is only a limited amount of time on this Earth. You have to maximize it. All the best to your friend.

• Useful Useful x 1