Bike you most regret selling

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Richard H, Jan 15, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    What didn’t you like about the Ducati?

2. Happy Jack

Happy Jack Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2022
    Florissant Mo
    #42 Happy Jack, Feb 20, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
    8A241242-DFEC-46CE-A1B5-FB9E5E14E040.jpeg My 1981 R100CS I got it as wrecked basket case Had San Jose overbore kit and heads , junk bottom end had 2 pulled studs. Replaced heads jugs and pistons with the good German stuff. Found a low mileage r80 bottom end put it together with performance machine brakes and cast iron rotors . Frame mounted the stock fairing buffed it out installed bubb mufflers and hit the road! Loved to tour south west US where you can really roll I tell young guys hold on to the ones you really love. The K75c that replaced was a big disappointment

• Like Like x 4
  3. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire

The fuelling wasn't perfect
    The underseat pipes made the seat hot and very uncomfortable
    The slipper clutch would screech loudly on fast getaways (they do that apparently)
    You'd expect bags of useable lowdown torque from tickover from a big V twin. No. Anything below 3k rpm felt like it was going to explode.
    Handling was pretty good, just "different" to the R1 but ultimately not as sorted IMO.
    A fabulous looking bike, possibly one of, if not the best looking bikes ever made but, for me at least, disappointing to own. A bit like marrying a supermodel then you find out she can't cook, do housework and is rubbish in bed. :p
    It just felt like a bike from a different era to the R1.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    A mate of mine had one and reckoned it was brilliant for about two rides while he had it. Everything had to align, empty roads, good weather and right frame of mind. Rest of the time it was a pain in the arse.

For me it would probably bey SR500 Yammy. Great fun to ride, simple, stylish and now worth much more than I paid for it!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The 1198SP is quite a rare bike. If I'd liked it and kept the mileage really low it almost certainly would be worth more than I paid but therein lies the problem. If I'd liked it and kept it the mileage would probably be well over 40k by now. I don't really worry about clocking up high mileages anymore, I just buy bikes to ride and if mileage hits resale value, so be it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA

That R1 is gorgeous!

7. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Hmmm. I’ve owned 15 motorcycles, including a 2002 R1, an R1100S, a K1300S, an RSV4, and a first gen Tuono Racing.

Honestly, though, I only regret selling this one: A mint 2001 Mille R that I traded in for the RSV4 in 2013. There was something about the Mille R that made you feel special every time out.

0B65D5CE-3D11-4B74-9F41-8EFC8AA27469.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    South Jersey, The 51st State
    #48 Fork Lock, Feb 27, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
    Highly unlikely that they would ever be resurrected by another outfit. There were so many patents, so much innovation and proprietary engineering that was specific to Victory that Polaris has locked up, they'll never let it go. Also, a lot of those goodies went into the Indians. Supposedly, the first Scout motor was slated for a new Vic model, but they jammed it into the Scout. It's sad. They were such amazing machines. Sixty-seven gaskets, seals and O-rings in a Harley engine. Seven in a Victory motor. That's sixty less things to go wrong on a Vic. We used to say if you like wrenching, buy a Harley. If you like riding, buy a Victory. I put 30k miles on my first one, a 01 V92C, in three years. Nothing ever broke, leaked or hiccupped. It never went back to the shop for anything but tires. 18k on the pictured Vegas in two years. Same thing. Guys would put $3000 into their comparable HDs for more power. Vics would get a stage one kit upgraded chip and remapping for under a grand then go out and spank the Harleys.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    My Honda CB750 K1, that I had when I was 18. Bought for £515 with very low mileage. Great bike, very different from anything else at the time.

79216726-AB64-4EFD-9E75-BA865B16DA0C.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    All of them :joy:

Well the ones that stick out were both street triples, a 675 and a 765. A daytona 675. And a thruxton R.
    It was a painful day when I sold the ktm superduke! But it was being replaced with another superduke :grinning:
    The ones I dont miss were a tiger 800 and a scrambler 1200. Hated both those bikes and perhaps coincidentally, both had a 21" front wheel.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    My first one… I was from my brother-in law, he neglected it for several years, and lent it to me for free. I restored it to working order, and drove it for about two years. Then bought my gsx 1100 f (katana in the uk?) and gave it back. Later I heard he sold it. If only he’d asked me… picture from internet, had no phone with camera back than.

17A4E8BE-9987-4EB2-865A-77BC6C0DADBE.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    I totally agree. I had the original gloss black RSV 1000R. Amazing bike once I got used to V twin power. That took a bit of doing having grown up on in line fours. The only problem I had was that it made me ride like a lunatic all the time. It handled so well. Effortless. Powerful. Grunty.. Comfortable. Economic on fuel. Just amazing.
    Unfortunately I dropped it on a track day. Repaired it and part exchanged it against my current MV F4 1000. Now the MV is the bike I own that would be the bike I most regretted selling if I ever part with it…..

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Should have kept my T160 Trident as original and not customised it.

T160.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  14. Stephen Martin

Stephen Martin Senior Member

Aug 31, 2020
    Isle of Wight
    all of them loved them all

• Like Like x 2