Bike Won't Start

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Simon narb, Jul 9, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Simon narb

Simon narb New Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Pembrokeshire
    Hi All, my 1600 Thunderbird wont start.Battery ok.prime ok all interlock ok, ie clutch in, side stand, stop switch.What I have noticed is the fuel gauge showing no bars, but there is plenty of petrol in tank.I read somewhere if ecu sees no fuel the motor will not turn over, i think this could be the problem My problem is how to fix? Any ideas.Thanks Simon.

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hi Simon, have you done any work to it recently, is the fuel gauge connector from the tank disconnected, cable worn etc. Do you have the means to check for any fault codes. When you start her does it go through the system check where the gauge goes up then down?

3. Simon narb

Simon narb New Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Pembrokeshire
    Hi Crispey, thanks for your quick response, tried a set of jump leads from my van, bingo.So new battery for me.strange thing I had 12.8v on battery so I thought it was ok.There you are live and learn.thanks again for your advice.

• Like Like x 2
  4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    It’s amazing how many times what seems like a life ending problem can be solved with a bit of electricity, is this why we feel as one with our bikes?

• Like Like x 1
  5. KevinK

KevinK Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Timberlake, NC USA
    Friend had a low battery and it could not pressurize his fuel rail. Newer injected bikes will not even crank witout adequate fuel pressure.

6. Simon narb

Simon narb New Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Pembrokeshire

7. Simon narb

Simon narb New Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Pembrokeshire
    Thank's Kevin for your response, new battery and now all fine, battery was pn trickle charge with a voltage of12.8v so i thought it was ok.Gave the bike a jump start from my van and this confirmed the battery was at fault.

• Like Like x 1