675 Bike Won't Engage Into Gears

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by alexander franco, Aug 3, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. alexander franco

alexander franco New Member

Aug 3, 2020
    Dorking
    Hi, I have a 2016 street triple RX, I was riding yesterday though the countryside when suddenly the bike got as if the clutch was hold in, I can see the gears change through the gear indicator but won't move, the bike has quickshifter, there is only 8k miles on the bike and its well looked after, could this be an electronic issue with the quickshifter? Isn't it too early to have issues with the clutch discs?
    Any advice please, I took it to a garage but wanted to check here before allowing the engine to be opened.
    Thank you in advance

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Your quick shifter is basically a rod, a stiff spring and a microswitch. It either works or it doesn’t.

Far more likely is that your clutch has gone out of adjustment and is causing excessive drag that inhibits gear changes. Check your handbook on correct clutch adjustment. You should have minimal movement at the lever before feeling spring resistance. If there is no slack then you risk clutch slip. Too much and the clutch will not free off.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I read that as the gears are moving but the bike isn’t so rather than the clutch dragging it’s more likely to be slipping. He’s taken it to a garage anyway but if he comes back to report the problem I’d say the cable/lever hasn’t been releasing properly and the clutch now has burned out.