Bike Theft - Punishment

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Cyborgbot, Dec 4, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

#1 Cyborgbot, Dec 4, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2021
    I read this article in MCN. Given our general negative disposition towards bike thieves I thought you might like to see it.

Petition calls for tougher punishment

A petition has been launched online to have a five-year minimum prison sentence introduced for stealing a motor vehicle. The petition has almost 1000 signatures at the time of writing and was created by Aleksandar Stoilov who says: “We believe current sentences are inadequate, as the consequences for the victim can be huge. People can struggle to get to work, which can lead to reduced income or even losing a job, and it can have a significant impact on families with children in particular.” You can find the petition at:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/600561

Edit: Think the link is fixed now.
    Edit 2: Here’s one about automatically upgrading A2 licenses after two years. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/593355

• Like Like x 4
  2. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Hi bud. The link didn't work?
    For me at least?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    In my mind all sentences are inadequate, but not sure that this one will get the attention it deserves.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

These petitions may have a negative effect on good ideas. Politicians will only do stuff if they think enough people care (even if it’s a good idea).

If an idea for a petition doesn’t get enough votes (and who looks at this stuff normally) the Politicians can simply say there’s no public backing and go back to fiddling their expenses and second/third jobs/wife/mistresses (delete as appropriate).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Can't see this even getting desk time TBH. The prisons are overcrowded as it is and vehicle/property theft is relatively low priority compared to other factors like escalating knife and gun crime etc.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    JUST SIGNED.
    Joe

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dave49

Dave49 Elite Member

Dec 30, 2019
    SW Scotland
    What has happened to Tony the Tiger?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    Guest mode probably means he’s decided to leave… there was, within his madcap warblings, suggestion that he was in the middle of a hard time, which brought about a spiky response to a thread… outside of his normal “find a joke in anything” sense of humour… leading to a misunderstanding. It has blown over, but if he’s left… then he’s hurting more than he obviously was letting on.
    Cyborgbot - should you read this… take whatever time you need to yourself to regroup, come back when you’re ready… you’ll be reet!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. Dave49

Dave49 Elite Member

Dec 30, 2019
    SW Scotland
    I didn't see the altercation in question, but would be very sorry to see him leave. I would miss his 'madcap warblings' and odd sense of humour, and, of course, our occasional sparring matches. I would echo your last line and say: hang in there mate, we need you on here.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Peter B

Peter B Active Member

May 24, 2020
    West Yorkshire
    I signed and put the link onto a Facebook news feed, might get more signatures.

• Like Like x 1
  11. b12ady

b12ady Member

Jan 19, 2016
    s.yorkshire
    Done,cant see it doing much,we can but hope though:)

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes Cyborgbot is a good team player and i hope he is just like me in the past taking a time out. But do come back and keep us all amused mate. Sometimes quite innocent things get taken the wrong way. But we are all grown ups smile and get over it what ever.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

He and I kind of clashed a couple times, but I dug the guy. It was mostly a case of not fully getting each other's sense of humor. He brought a lot to the table. He was kind of the "court jester" of sorts.

No matter what his deal is, and obviously I don't know him personally… I wish him all the best.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1