Bike Stands

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Robert Wagner, Jul 31, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robert Wagner

Robert Wagner New Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Minneapolis, MN
    I am new to the world of Triumph. I have a 2000 Sprint RS 955i and want to get stands for it for maintenance... mainly for the rear, not sure why I need front unless to raise bike for winter storage (tires off the ground *open to suggestions*). I want to hear from owners on pros and cons for types and brands. My girlfriend has a Honda CBR 250R (learner bike) and if possible usable for this bike as well.

Thanks fellow Triumphers!

2. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  3. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum Robert.

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

• Like Like x 1
  4. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Welcome Robert. I use a 1Jac stand for my Daytona.
    It’s really good for doing maintenance as you can lift the whole bike so both wheels are off the ground, and wheel the bike around the garage.
    It’s a bit of an investment but I’ve found it much better than paddock stands. The only drawback for you I guess would be that you’ll need another adapter for your girlfriends bike

There’s cheaper versions about too from Warrior, Constands and others but I went for the 1Jac because of the good customer service I got from them, and they’re a British company. :grinning:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Howdy Robert, and welcome in :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ivor

Ivor Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2019
    Southampton UK
    hi matey :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi Mate and Welcome to the Forum :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Robert Wagner

Robert Wagner New Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey Freck, I've never seen a stand like this... I love it!!! however the idea of either changing the head for the two bikes or owning two of these is outside my scope. For now I am going to look into a paddock stand as suggested. Thanks again! This is on my dream list when I have a large enough garage and a need for one per bike. Great idea for Winter Storage in Minnesota as well.

Rob

10. Robert Wagner

Robert Wagner New Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey Freck, I've never seen a stand like this... I love it!!! however the idea of either changing the head for the two bikes or owning two of these is outside my scope. For now I am going to look into a paddock stand as suggested. Thanks again! This is on my dream list when I have a large enough garage and a need for one per bike. Great idea for Winter Storage in Minnesota as well.

Rob

11. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi Robert,
    If you just want a paddock stand that uses bobbins to lift the bike then this is what I use for racing, buy the stand plus a set of bobbins to screw into the swinging arm, fairly cheap & very easy to use. I use another type to lift the front that has a metal pin that slots in the underside of the lower fork brace.

https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/new-bobbin-type-paddock-stand-for-under-£23-delivered.19692/

• Like Like x 1
  12. Robert Wagner

Robert Wagner New Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Minneapolis, MN

Thank you Dozers Dad... you answered my question best. Using paddock that cups. under swing arm. Yes, my Sprint has double swing arm, so this is the direction I am going to be looking. Any suggestion on brand(s) to consider or brand(s) to avoid?

Thanks,
    Rob

13. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Honestly would avoid the ones with 'cups' that sit under the swinging arm, they are far less secure than bobbin type ones IMHO, below is set up I use to get both wheels off floor.
    IMG_3694.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Robert Wagner

Robert Wagner New Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hi Bad Billy... I noticed on the Sprint and CBR that there are no screw holes for bobbins to be installed (as I have seen on "new" bikes at the shops). Unless I am missing something, I don't think I can use bobbins. (I want to use those because I love the color choices).

Am I missing something? my bike is 2000 Triumph Sprint RS 955i and the other bike is 2013 Honda CBR250R

15. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I had a Sprint RS back in 1999, honestly can't remember what sort of paddock stand I used back then?
    But if there aren't any holes for them then you have no choice but to use the type that sits on a rubber cup underneath the swing arm, just be careful though as these aren't as secure.

Only other choice is an ABBA stand, these aren't as easy to use as paddock stand but are very good, I also have one of these.
    https://abbastands.co.uk/article.asp?topic=what-bikes-do-our-stands-and-lifts-fit&aid=14

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Robert Wagner

Robert Wagner New Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Minneapolis, MN

Is the ABBA stand the same or similar concept as the 1JAC system? I can't seem to identify what or how they connect to the bike. 1JAC shows a guy stepping on the bike as it is lifted... seems VERY stable and with wheels... maneuverable. If they are the same, I'd consider owning a 1JAC before the ABBA with the wheels built in and not needing a strap for swing arm. For now I found a guy who is selling his Pit Bull setup for half the retail price (both front {hybrid fork and tree} and rear {single arm}). getting both in great condition for $150.

• Like Like x 1
  17. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Pitbull stands look pretty good, though haven’t seen one up close unfortunately.
    Haven’t seen anywhere that sells them this side of the pond. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Robert and welcome to the forum :)

19. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Rob and welcome to the forum :cool: looking forward to seeing some pix

20. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Do the sensible thing and buy a center stand.

WP_20190106_11_49_32_Pro.jpg