Bike Sat For 3 Years

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by nikos1965, Apr 1, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. nikos1965

nikos1965 New Member

Apr 1, 2022
    canada
    I got a deal on a friends bike he no longer could ride, STREET CUP, and had sat for years in an apartment garage uncovered. Its filthy dirty somewhat greasy, one tire low in air, dead battery and I imagine really old gas in tank. I dont know where to begin with this but wanted it as a project for myself to clean up and get it going, just dont know where to start. The obvious first I guess to either charge the battery or replace it and than I imagine figure out a way to drain the tank and lines which I never done before and not sure if i could that. I know the oil should be changed out as well. Is it ok to powerwash first and than get into it? I should mention its a 2017 with 1000k on it so its definetly worth quite a bit running. Anybody have any suggestions? There are no videos of drining the tank and fuel lines either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    It will need a full service including new filters and oil, coolant and brake fluid. Tyres could well be past their sell by date even if they still have plenty of tread. Almost certainly a new battery as well. And definitely new fuel.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    It's iunlilely your batter will have survived. You could try charging it but I expect it won't take. If there's not much fuel in it you could try topping it up and see if it runs. Full service, as mentioned. Tyres may well need changing, especially if they've been standing on the same part for a long time and had low pressure. A good clean would be a place to start. If you can, use snowfoam to help loosen the dirt then wash off before cleaning with lots of water and a decent shampoo. That'll also help you look over the bike in detail and see if anything else needs sorting. Don't forget to lube the chain before you go anywhere.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    A good bunch of things to be going on with. Why not post some photos of the bike…

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. nikos1965

nikos1965 New Member

Apr 1, 2022
    canada
    when I get it home I will take some pics of it and before its washed and will post them here.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I'd certainly go with a good wash first but I'm not a fan of power washing (jetwashing?) bikes so it'd be a hose pipe and buckets of soapy water for me. Then it's just a case of working through the items mentioned above. Being stood for so long, the engine top end could be quite dry so I'd change the oil and filter cold, then spin the engine over on the starter, with the plugs out and fuel pump disabled, to get oil round the engine, then go for a full start. At 1000K it's barely run in so well worth saving!

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Nikos1965
    For the fuel just get a syphon and drain the tank fill with new fuel. Use the five

• Like Like x 1