Bike Safe Course Offer

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Martin Joseph Lowe, Jul 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Martin Joseph Lowe

Martin Joseph Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Merseyside
    Hello Ladies and Gents,

Realise this has been on threads before..but...

I went on this course last year, with new and long-in-the-tooth riders alike!

Everyone came away with great tips and insights, especially from the boys in blue (even a bag of freebies worth more than the course!) ..thoroughly recommend it.

Safe riding! Enjoy!

M

https://bikesafe.co.uk/northwales/

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I agree, I've done 2 over the years, to be fair, 2nd one was to influence the Magistrates that I was actually quite sensible when up on a serious speeding charge :eek: it worked, no ban! :cold_sweat:
    I think it is a good course, I recommended it to new rider on the forum @Frecklechops only this week. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’ve thought about doing it with Mrs Freck as she’s only been riding 2 years and it might be helpful for her, though they’ll probably pick on all my bad habits after 35 years of riding o_O

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I did the RAC/ACU instructors course when I was a nipper (when you could ride 250's on L plates), not because I wanted to be an instructor but because one of the coppers on the basic course told me I would learn how to ride safely at speed. All the stuff they taught me has stayed with me over the years, and when I need to I can ride like a copper, when I did my Bikesafe (for the benefit of the court) I got straight A's for everything. It was quite amusing as I was paired up with a lad who was quite new to biking, the Police instructor had me lead the first part, stopped after 40 mins or so and asked the other lad what he thought of my riding, he said he thought I was a bit reckless as I was using all of the road, the copper said there was nothing wrong with doing so if you had the vision to do so & it lead to a safer smoother line through the corner.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Don't know what you're on about :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    There’s a few places around the NW to do the course. https://bikesafe.co.uk/

• Like Like x 2
  7. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Yeah, they’ve already had £100 out of me recently :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Just the cost of a set of knee sliders! :joy::joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Frecklechops

Frecklechops Noble Member

Jul 8, 2019
    Scotland
    I think I'll go with IAM roadsmart, as the bikesafe course isn't run in Scotland.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Martin Joseph Lowe

Martin Joseph Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Merseyside
    Hi,
    My next one is the IAM...keen to cram in as much as possible along with all the good advice here!! (That’s smoke going up bums I hope you realise!!)
    M

11. welly

welly Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Leeds
    I did bikesafe yesterday at the Beverley/Humberside location. It was really good! For only 25 quid, I can't see how you can't not do it. Got loads of useful feedback particularly for someone who's only just started riding big bikes. Plenty to take away from yesterday, as well as the goody bag!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Michael O

Michael O Member

Jul 26, 2019
    Cardiff
    I did one last week, six weeks after passing my test. The instructor asked me to drive naturally and not take it as a test. That way they can see the real you and not a rider under test conditions.
    It was ok, got a B grade and some useful road craft tips.
    Also got a copy of the "Police Rider's Handbook".
    Will be doing another next year

• Like Like x 3
  13. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Think it was 1999 and I did the Honda Mac course which was offered to anyone who purchased a new Honda over a certain cc.
    The course was run over two full days with the instructors being ex police motorcyclist.
    It was so funny as the instructor I had was a guy who used to give us grief as 16year olds riders back in 1966 :grinning:

That was the first rider assessment/training that I’d ever had in 36 years of riding and a couple of years later I did the IAM Course.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    He didn’t recognise or remember me but he did say that there were always youths on motorbikes giving him grief back then :rolleyes:

I suppose it was the same all over the country, 16 year olds being given freedom and independence :eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    You and me can take him, Tig.............. I'll trip him with my stick and you can smack him with the zimmer.

Whippersnapper.

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Cheeky you upstart you’ve woken me up zzzzzzzzzzzzzz :grinning:

• Love You Love You x 1