Bike Maintance

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by peter lloyd, Aug 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. peter lloyd

peter lloyd New Member

Aug 7, 2019
    Warwickshire
    Who do people use to do their bike maintance?? Muddy sump is booked up till next year

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Peter Lloyd
    Do it all myself then I know it's done properly. Even for services I do the work and present the bike. Bulldog are happy to check what I have done do their bit and of I go. Least time more riding.
    Regards & Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  3. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    I like to do my own as I know it has all been done then.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I do my own too.
    Buy the tools as I need them which works out hell of a lot cheaper than a dealers price.
    Plus you don't need to buy the tools next time so it makes it alot cheaper.
    I invested in a Abba Skylift stand so I can strip my bike to its frame
    I recently bought tools so I can take apart the suspension, changed the oil myself and springs, the tools cost £50 but a dealer would have been £150 plus oils

I actually have a healthy collection of tools from over the years and can pretty do all that is needed other than the engine internals

Watch YouTube for guidance, buy the tools you need and go for it. IF it goes wrong you have a whole forum of peeps here willing to help out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    I do all my own maintenance. Generally not hard and saves a lot of $$.

• Like Like x 1
  6. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I do all my own bike maintenance and repairs, apart from tyres, and apart from the required services on the Beemer for warranty purposes.
    I’ve been in engineering since leaving school so have always been practical, which can be a bit of a curse sometimes when friends and family want something doing.
    My Mum’s favourite saying is “Oh, while you’re here, can you just........” :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Same as Freck, but without the maintenance and repairs ;);)
    I've only got to look at a spanner to get a rash and by touching anything I generally double any repair bill :weary_face::weary_face:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Andymarksonline

Andymarksonline Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Kent
    I used to do almost everything when I had my old street triple but now I have a new speed RS I’ll probably take it in for servicing (the joys of finance!). Having said that I’ll replace brake pads and remove wheels for tyre changes as required as not paying a dealer to do such a simple job.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1